Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is CT a must to gateway 2 and where to buy it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My setup is enphase combiner + powerwall 2. My installer didn't install the solar CT which is supposed to be included in PW2 package.

Since there is no CT, tesla app can't tell the solar usage, which is not idea but as I can get it from enphase app I am not too concerned. My major question is that would lack of solar CT impact the gateway function to orchestrate the power flow between grid, solar, battery and home load?

If it would impact in certain way, where to buy the CT? Ebay doesn't have anyone as of now, not sure if some 3rd party CT would work?

My setup is enphase combiner + powerwall 2. My installer didn't install the solar CT which is supposed to be included in PW2 package.

Since there is no CT, tesla app can't tell the solar usage, which is not idea but as I can get it from enphase app I am not too concerned. My major question is that would lack of solar CT impact the gateway function to orchestrate the power flow between grid, solar, battery and home load?

If it would impact in certain way, where to buy the CT? Ebay doesn't have anyone as of now, not sure if some 3rd party CT would work?
Without a solar CT, the powerwall won't be able to charge from solar. It is a required component of the system, you should call your installer and have them come back out and put it in for you.

I am surprised it works at all!

I just had a new string of micro-inverter panels added and the solar guys forgot to run the new string through the Powerwall’s solar CT (because they just do solar, another team does batteri). It caused the Powerwall to enter a fail-safe mode and isolated itself from the grid.

Basically, it saw power going out to the grid that it couldn’t account for.

It was an easy fix: run both solar circuits through the solar CT. But it wasn’t something that I could have diagnosed and fixed on my own.

Without a solar CT, the powerwall won't be able to charge from solar. It is a required component of the system, you should call your installer and have them come back out and put it in for you.
Interesting, the tesla app indeed shows solar is exporting to grid during the day.

But it indeed didn't charge the powerwall but I thought it is because the charge level is above backup setting (50%). However, if I set in off-grid mode, the solar can charge the battery.

Anyway, I will try to get my installer back for it but he is not responsive now.

Worse case I can't get installer back, how can I get the CT by myself? I can find anywhere to buy and not sure if 3rd party one would work.

May need to get the area BBB involved to put pressure on him?
And or his licensing agency especially if that is part of the contract, I would think.
Already filed complaint against his license and I am not the only one did so, sigh, my bad choice of installer.

Luckily, the installer didn't take the CT away and I found it in the house. I installed by myself (quite easy) and now the app makes more sense to me now, I can see the power flow between solar, battery, load and grid now.

Interesting, the tesla app indeed shows solar is exporting to grid during the day.

But it indeed didn't charge the powerwall but I thought it is because the charge level is above backup setting (50%). However, if I set in off-grid mode, the solar can charge the battery.

Anyway, I will try to get my installer back for it but he is not responsive now.

Worse case I can't get installer back, how can I get the CT by myself? I can find anywhere to buy and not sure if 3rd party one would work.
Responding to one thing at a time,
I suspect you mean that it shows power exporting to get grid when the sun is shining. Or, do you mean that it is showing the solar production which it also shows as exporting to the grid?

Does the app show the solar panels with zero power, or are they missing from the animation? It is possible that the CT was installed but not configured during setup.

A screenshot would help us see what is going on.

how can I get the CT by myself?
I did this myself recently to get Charge on Solar working properly, but mine is a Gateway 1, i.e. a large grey box, while you probably have a Gateway 2, with the pretty shiny white panel. GW1 used two 200A CTs connected to a Neurio module inside the Gateway. I tried to order parts from Tesla, but they refused. Eventually I found some Neurio CT's online, $35 for a pair. I think the GW2 uses only a single 100A CT for the solar, and a Solar X2 setting in the installation wizard. The PW installation manuals talk about the CTs.

But your installer messed up and should fix this for you.

Already filed complaint against his license and I am not the only one did so, sigh, my bad choice of installer.

Luckily, the installer didn't take the CT away and I found it in the house. I installed by myself (quite easy) and now the app makes more sense to me now, I can see the power flow between solar, battery, load and grid now.
Oops, I didn't see this before my extraneous response, sorry.

Good work on fixing it! If the solar production matches the Enphase numbers, then CT configurations are probably correct in the Installation Wizard. Phew!