Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall settings in New Zealand with zero cost power periods.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. I'm a new Solar + Powerwall + M3 user in New Zealand. Like many in New Zealand I have a period during the day, when my buy tariff is set to $0.00. For me, it is 9pm to midnight which you would think would work very well with the solar/powerwall system.

For the car, I can set up time of day charging to start at 9pm, and given it's a 3 phase gen3 wall charger, the car is almost always fully charged by midnight, so charging costs $0.00. All good.

However, the Powerwall behaviour has got me bemused. I have just set a peak time (21 hours) and a low time (9pm to midnight). The app will not let me put in 0.00 as the buy price at low time, so I just used $0.01. I have $0.25 buy price at peak time

The powerwall though behaves very erratically at 9pm. On sunny days in October (Spring) it has generally fully charged from solar during the day and then discharges to about 70% by 9pm as it carries the house load from the time that solar is insufficient. All good so far. However, the behaviour at 9pm is random. Always the house starts feeding from the grid at 9pm and some days the powerwall starts charging at 9pm - somedays the system seems to go into standby at 9pm and the battery doesnt charge or discharge, other days the system decides that it will supply the house from the grid and add another 0.3 KwHr on top of the grid from the already partly discharged batteries.

I have played with various sell rates and setting $0.00 for both peak and low sell price seems to be the only setting that gives any chance of the powerwall recharging during the free 3 hours, but it's driving me mad. New Zealand appears to have no rules about grid charging the battery (there are no tax incentives and grid charging is enabled in the app)

There does not even appear to be a manual override that allows me to force the powerwall to grid charge. Has anyone else had this problem and solved it, or is it just a "feature". Are there any workarounds available? Thanks very much.

Setting the export rate to zero and only having a peak price is the only way I have managed to get this to work. If you put figures in the other fields the PW will try to estimate how much energy it can sell and how much you will generate. The image below is what our settings are on to maximise the Contact 3 hours of free power deal in NZ. We have found this to be pretty bullet proof for us.

IMG_1011CF246AD7-1.jpeg