Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall Time-Based with 2 peak periods

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same dual peaks in Az on SRP here.

I tried the full day Peak method just now (good idea actually), but it's not pulling from battery while I'm still on peak. (Actually, my peak is set from 5AM-11PM as I'm trying to force it to use grid power at night during the EV charging time (11PM-5AM). But it's still pulling from the grid??? (I've got 80% charge and reserve is on 40%).

Oh... it just changed to battery (yay). Sorry I made you wonder above, I thought of rewriting it, but it's also good to know that this system takes it's time to switch, I've noticed.

Goal is only use SRP on EV rates, but that's a long stretch to go on batteries so we'll see. We have 8.29 kW + 2PWs, just powered up this week! Gas heater and kitchen helps here (dirty secret). Can't seem to fill the batteries this time of year, hopefully summer will be different. The panels are maxing out at 4.3kW which is half the rated (ideal) power. Can I expect closer to 7 or 8kW with direct sunlight?

Hopefully it goes to grid at 11PM on cue. If needed, I'll starve it with high reserve so it gets hungry for the night snack (hopeful). Until now, I've been switching modes to force charging or not. What an oversight. Ya, Tesla needs to update for 2 peaks.

Sure is educational though! Knowing what things use how much power. I'm feverishly trying to maximize savings and dial this in... fun stuff!

Pulling from grid on cue at 11 PM. This is good. Hopefully it goes back to battery at 5AM.

The irony of all this is that I kept saying "I can't wait for solar so I can forget about what time I can do laundry or having to pre-cool the home."
So now I'm counting watts and trying to micromanage everything - it's even worse, lol (at first only I hope). I just naturally want to get efficient and this stuff all has a lot of knobs to adjust.

I just ordered my smart hub and will be testing out your program Darwin. I’m a bit excited because I have had to turn on the heat in the house and I'm scrapping by to get to 8am when the solar kicks on due to the powerwall powering the house during the off peak hours :-(

If it wouldn’t run all night than I would have plenty of power!

I’ll let you know how it goes.
His program works like a champ! I have been using it since August.

I originally had a demand controller on my house prior getting batteries. Once I got my batteries Tesla removed it and it has been sitting on my desk since I didn’t think it would work with the batteries.

Out of the blue I emailed the company to see if it work with the batteries. Meaning turn on if the batteries are depleted. It appears they firmware and software update to allow just that. Now I need to decide if I try Darwin’s approach which seems like a no brainer or use the demand controller as well.....View attachment 489804View attachment 489804

I have the same demand manager installed by Sun Valley Solar solutions (who also did my SunPower panels and PWs). The demand manager has always worked well with the PWs since install early this year.

I'm a few degrees north of straight west. Great for summertime AC, weak in the winter I suppose.

The power curves for these PVs put out even at low angles. I expected a bit higher still, but glad you're seeing 6.7kW,

My impressions from others that have nearly directly west facing panels, winter can be pretty rough for production, like close to half or 1/3 of summer peak, and being a few degrees north of west you'll probably be at the lower end of that range - but in late spring and summer when you really need the production in AZ you should be in a nearly perfect orientation for summer utility peak windows.

just use Darwin’s app to schedule self-consumption mode during the two peak periods and backup only during the off peak periods. Works like a champ without delay. I’m in SRP with 8kw and 1 PW2 (soon to be a 2nd PW2).

I use Darwins app similar to @dhskiracer71, but actually use TBC Cost Savings mode, but do similar things with the reserve. Great App.

My settings, and results in the screen shots. I have redundant schedules setup to attempt twice to lower the reserve before the evening peak. For what ever reason, on a couple occasions the evening change has not gone into effect, so I setup redundant schedules 5 minutes apart.

By using TBC-Cost Savings instead of Self-Consumption, I can use take advantage of the Peak Window to force no evening PW discharge after 9pm and before 5am regardless of reserve, and also not having to depend on the 3 way communication between SmartThings, Tesla, and my local gateway when not required. It also frees up not having to use up two scheduling slots at the end/begin of day in Darwins app since the defined TBC controls that overnight period, if I want to do my nuanced tweaking of the % during the day. Technically I don't need those first & last schedules adjustments to % because of the TBC window, but I had those setup while I was testing different ways to control all this. Schedule 5 got cutoff, but it basically makes sure the reserve is at 5% or less overnight, since TBC is preventing PW discharge.

IMG_0353.jpg
IMG_0352.jpg

Last edited:
My impressions from others that have nearly directly west facing panels, winter can be pretty rough for production, like close to half or 1/3 of summer peak, and being a few degrees north of west you'll probably be at the lower end of that range - but in late spring and summer when you really need the production in AZ you should be in a nearly perfect orientation for summer utility peak windows.

I'm hopeful. I'm still pulling from the grid a bit at night w/o car charging but I think it can go to zero. Heck, I'm still trying to get the batteries full. A lot of trial and error. I'm probably screwing up it's learning by running advanced cost savings then hitting 100% button to start hoarding sunlight 100% for the batteries while still pulling a bit from the grid. After a few days, I'll look at solar in vs home usage to see if I'm neutral in winter and can cut the cord for max savings.

I assume these batteries are like the cars in that they prefer to be around 50% charge on average? Or are they designed for the high average stored so there's always a nice reserve? Ya, what do I need for reserve right? Whole other question. Right now my setting is 40% so I can get the charge higher on up. Maybe that's too much?

I'm hopeful. I'm still pulling from the grid a bit at night w/o car charging but I think it can go to zero. Heck, I'm still trying to get the batteries full. A lot of trial and error. I'm probably screwing up it's learning by running advanced cost savings then hitting 100% button to start hoarding sunlight 100% for the batteries while still pulling a bit from the grid. After a few days, I'll look at solar in vs home usage to see if I'm neutral in winter and can cut the cord for max savings.

I assume these batteries are like the cars in that they prefer to be around 50% charge on average? Or are they designed for the high average stored so there's always a nice reserve? Ya, what do I need for reserve right? Whole other question. Right now my setting is 40% so I can get the charge higher on up. Maybe that's too much?

I've read from some on these forums, that these are maybe a different chemistry, and should be okay sitting at a full SOC. However, for folks that have actually done some capacity testing after holding at 100%, for maybe a year or more, their total capacity after a year or so seems to be going down at the same rate as the research indicates for most all lithium chemistries when fully cycled to 0-100, and or when stored at 100. Some research indicated holding lithiums at 100% reduces capacity at roughly the same rate as cycling between 25 and 100% - which either way is still guaranteed to be 70% after 10 years if following the rules of the warranty in regard to discharge cycles general speaking. So still really good. I'm just shooting for longer and less capacity loss if possible, and configured and did my cost/pay-off analysis with that in mind.

That kind of leads me to believe like all other lithium chemistries, these will last longer if not cycled or stored at a high SOC when not otherwise needed, they can sit at 40-50% for longest life - but that's really only possible if we're willing to install more more PW than we need. In my case I was forced to do that because of my peak summer time needs. I installed what I needed in peak summer which is pretty extreme and only for a few weeks, so while the install happened at the very end of September, I did have it running for a couple weeks of 100 degree weather, and I seemed to be cycling between 40% and 90% to cover peaks (with four PWs), so I'm guessing during our very hottest weeks, I'll cycle between 20% and close to 100%, but that should only be for several of the hottest weeks.

For the coolest 5-8 months of the year I think I'll be cycling between 30-60% at most, with it sitting overnight usually around 50% - so I figure that will work out to some life extension. But then I don't use the PWs during off peaks at all because the rates are so cheap, and the PWs are expensive. I'd rather just store them overnight at about 50% charge and not use them, except during the day when solar production fills the PW above my set peak level, the with TBC-Cost savings, then the settings will let the house pull it back down to the reserve during the day-time off-peak if needed.

Last edited:
I'd like to go for 15+ years, we'll see.

Funny thing just happened. I was trying to muscle in more power to the battery (100% first time, then maybe again in a month or so). But I happened to get to 100% early today and saw it going to utility (for pennies). So I plugged in the car and now getting 10 mi/hr to top that off (also at 80%). I'm ready for a storm now :)

Our air handler uses a lot of power (gas heat, but elect fan). 1-2kW for extended periods, I'd be better off getting a space heater for the bedroom (hopeful again) for an even smaller footprint. As I compare the past 3 days of data, I should be able to maintain off grid minus the car, but it's close with our setup.

This whole thing is a big science experiment between the car and home (and the stock)! Time of my life...

Reactions: JayClark
Ok, I set up my smart hub using and tested it last night. Worked wonderfully, I had 82% left when I woke up this morning at 4:45am to check on the program. I did notice my projected SRP bill went up $5, but it might have been a coincidence...I really like my $65 electric bills.

I only set up 3 schedules

4:30am switch back to time based/cost savings
4:50am switch back to time based/cost savings (I added a redundant step just in case)
9:01pm switch to backup 100%

I can get away with my batteries (2) and my solar (8kw) powering my house all day using 1 long peak period. I might change this in the future, but for now it seems ok.

I think I figured out why Tesla won’t do a 2 peak period setup because people wouldn’t need additional batteries. I was seriously thinking about getting a 3rd battery to avoid starring at the Tesla app wondering if I will make it through the morning. I believe with this program (thank you Darwin) it solved my problem/concerns.

I probably will hook back up my Demand Manager just to see how it performs, but I feel its probably overkill.

Reactions: JayClark and Darwin
My install got activated on 12/31, and I've been playing with the settings and getting familiar. Is anyone aware of a recommended minimum for the "Reserve for Power Outages"? Since I can't find any information on this, is it purely what you personally need or should it default to 20% for the good of the battery, etc? If I recall, it looked like it was already set to 16%. Mine seems to never go below 15/16, even if I have it set to 10. Follow-up question, I have two powerwalls but they show as combined, essentially one large battery. So if it keeps going down to 16 then switching to grid, is that actually taking both down to 8?

Lastly, I've noticed my max solar input seems to cap at exactly 5.2kW with an 8.19kW + old smaller solar dovetailed in. Tesla on east roof, older/smaller solar on west roof. Should I be seeing higher at optimal angle for Tesla on a clear day, or is this a winter thing? Is there a calculator for this type of thing anywhere?

EDIT: Nevermind I just hit 5.7, so the I'll keep analyzing the data.

Last edited:
@oldpueblo You just set it based on your home needs. I have my reserve setup to 65% which covers me to about midnight due to the heater. I had it set to 20% and covered 3:30pm to 8am which was great but during this winter months I could not fully charge during the day which meant full grid usage during day and then running short over night causing more usage. I have a 4.41 kWh setup with 1 pw2 and I average a non occupied hourly draw of .2kwh an hour and an occupied usage of .6kwh and with furnace .9-1.2kwh draw then again my home is not energy efficient with old blown in insulation no wall insulation and single pane windows. And I’m in SoCal. I should also add all my panels are west facing so I do not get a good charge until 9:30-10:30 and I began losing light around 2:45. And u get less generation due to winter months regarding your 2 pw I do not have an answer

Last edited:
I use Darwins app similar to @dhskiracer71, but actually use TBC Cost Savings mode, but do similar things with the reserve. Great App.

My settings, and results in the screen shots. I have redundant schedules setup to attempt twice to lower the reserve before the evening peak. For what ever reason, on a couple occasions the evening change has not gone into effect, so I setup redundant schedules 5 minutes apart.

By using TBC-Cost Savings instead of Self-Consumption, I can use take advantage of the Peak Window to force no evening PW discharge after 9pm and before 5am regardless of reserve, and also not having to depend on the 3 way communication between SmartThings, Tesla, and my local gateway when not required. It also frees up not having to use up two scheduling slots at the end/begin of day in Darwins app since the defined TBC controls that overnight period, if I want to do my nuanced tweaking of the % during the day. Technically I don't need those first & last schedules adjustments to % because of the TBC window, but I had those setup while I was testing different ways to control all this. Schedule 5 got cutoff, but it basically makes sure the reserve is at 5% or less overnight, since TBC is preventing PW discharge.

View attachment 490197 View attachment 490198

Do you think srp will ask us to give back the battery incentive money back if we use the Darwind app since they also their software to monitor our usage for their study?

Thanks Chancellor, another question do you think with a 4.2 kw system (cover 42% of my usage) will be enough to charge 2 pw to 100% from 6am to 1pm and then cover me from demand charge at the 2pm to 8pm peak period? I estimate i will be using about 28 kw from 2pm to 8pm.

New

Thanks Chancellor, another question do you think with a 4.2 kw system (cover 42% of my usage) will be enough to charge 2 pw to 100% from 6am to 1pm and then cover me from demand charge at the 2pm to 8pm peak period? I estimate i will be using about 28 kw from 2pm to 8pm.
That’s exactly the same system I have. Depends on your usage. We use 17,000kw’s a year or so and our PW is fully charged everyday by 2pm.