Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwalls now available for direct order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is interesting. When we built the house, we ran all the wiring to be able to support powerwalls, but the economics of them didn't make any sense, and they were a pain to get.

At these prices, I am wondering if it makes sense to relook at the ROI of powerwalls. Are they still the cheapest storage around? I have diesel generator backup, so I don't place any value on backup power, but do have the hassle of integrating the generator backup which Tesla doesn't make easy.

Also, I have been waiting for more EV's shipping with V2H capability (Tesla really lags in this area), because at prior prices I could get close to the same cost of storage and get a vehicle at very low incremental cost.

This is interesting. When we built the house, we ran all the wiring to be able to support powerwalls, but the economics of them didn't make any sense, and they were a pain to get.

At these prices, I am wondering if it makes sense to relook at the ROI of powerwalls. Are they still the cheapest storage around? I have diesel generator backup, so I don't place any value on backup power, but do have the hassle of integrating the generator backup which Tesla doesn't make easy.

Also, I have been waiting for more EV's shipping with V2H capability (Tesla really lags in this area), because at prior prices I could get close to the same cost of storage and get a vehicle at very low incremental cost.
Still no ROI

I guess it will be V2H equipped vehicles that will force them to reasonable prices. Though maybe the ROI is a lot better outside PGE land and that will never happen.
I would much rather have the ability to use my tesla as V2H. For what the powerwalls cost, the tesla would have been free. V2H may just kill powerwalls. Why would anyone buy when a car can serve 2 for 1?

I would much rather have the ability to use my tesla as V2H. For what the powerwalls cost, the tesla would have been free. V2H may just kill powerwalls. Why would anyone buy when a car can serve 2 for 1?

I agree with this completely. Powerwalls will never be a mass market product with the anemic ROI they seem to be stuck worth. And I don't think Tesla seems interested in V2H because it would take a big chunk of sales out of powerwalls. Recent news seems to indicate GM, Ford and others are making V2H a core differentiator, and if VM and others go that way too, that will be how meaningful battery storage actually gets deployed in mass. Too bad Tesla really doesn't care about making mass market load shifting work.

Plus there are no issues in charging an EV from a generator (unlike a powerwall), and if you don't have enough solar, you can drive to a charging station where the power is on and charge there and bring the energy back to your house in a pinch. Though I think using it for full whole house backup will be quite awhile, being able to power critical loads is probably doable, and for the load shifting case it really shines.

Reactions: dhrivnak and h2ofun
I see V2X as a supplement to PWs, not a replacement. I don't know if I am in the minority here, but working away from home 5 days a week during solar production hours, my vehicle is not going to do a very good job doing what PWs do, storing excess solar energy and using it to power the house outside solar hours.

I was thinking about it mostly for a 2nd car, with the first being an ICE based one. I agree it doesn't make sense as the only or primary vehicle for the reason you described. But rather than paying $ for PW's, I'd like to pay the same $, get a lot more storage, and be able to use it as a car when the main car is tied up.

Reactions: h2ofun
I'm in MA , have solar and 2 PWs. Here is my price for 1 PW as of 8/15

tesla.png

I am surprised installation is so expensive to add one more battery.
I guess that conduit price is gold plated? :D

Edited thanks to @wwhitney correction:

Delivery is $200 so think installation is $2100 plus there are $200 of “parts” then there is $1500 discount. In my instance I will need about 6 ft of conduit run plus a 25A breaker in backup panel plus the existing 75A breaker in main panel likely needs to be upgraded to 100A. Then you have site inspection, permit, utility approval to instal, inspections and PTO that have some cost plus likely onsite presence from a Tesla rep. Plus labor. All in I can see all these things adding up to about $1000 (or more)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: charlesj
Anyone have an idea how to analyze "Do I need this?" situation ?

My current setup is 10 kW array 2 PWs. We are in MA and NGrid is provider. We don't have Time of Use rates and enjoying net metering, but who knows how long it will continue. During winter PWs never fully charged but in a summer I often export to grid ( and build my credit toward winter usage). I also let NG drain PWs in pick hours (ConnectedSolution)
So I wonder if there is any more-less scientific way to assess "make sesne' vs "want".

Anyone have an idea how to analyze "Do I need this?" situation ?

My current setup is 10 kW array 2 PWs. We are in MA and NGrid is provider. We don't have Time of Use rates and enjoying net metering, but who knows how long it will continue. During winter PWs never fully charged but in a summer I often export to grid ( and build my credit toward winter usage). I also let NG drain PWs in pick hours (ConnectedSolution)
So I wonder if there is any more-less scientific way to assess "make sesne' vs "want".
Perhaps I missed something, but could you elaborate on what exactly is your question?

Perhaps I missed something, but could you elaborate on what exactly is your question?

I think he is asking if there is any reason he needs a Powerwall when he has an amazing net metering agreement that has no TOU charging. If that's the case, I think is answer is a resounding no! If there is no TOU, then you don't need load shifting. For backup power in an outage, a generator is almost certainly the right answer for you.

BTW congrats! Every solar/powerwall customer in CA dreams of a deal like the one you have, so please enjoy it and avoid the expense and nonsense we have to endure!

Yeah, I already have 2 Powerwalls and debating if it makes sense to add another one. I should've been more clear.

When we just bought a house few years ago we had a 3-days power outage and life was completely paralyzed, that's when I decided that solar alone in not sufficient. So now I just thinking if 3rd PW would be meaningful addition as a future proof - who knows what happens with ToU ina future. And not I still can get 7 years 0% loan for PW. With sighing it to Connected Solutions I would get 700/800 per year so it's almost half off...
So that's why I have all these questions..