Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF and Ceramic Coating - My experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Shortly after delivery of my new Model Y I went to a Detailer (DC Auto Bra in Fort Washington, MD) to have ceramic coating applied. The owner, Jason, told me about PPF and recommended I get it installed to protect the paint. I decided to pass on the PPF and went ahead with the ceramic coating. A couple of months later and after a few unfortunate contacts with road debris I realized I needed the PPF to protect the paint, especially on the front end. After watching some reviews on YouTube and getting more familiar with the differences between PPF and ceramic coat, I decided to go ahead and have my PPF installed. What I learned was the ceramic coating needed to be buffed off before the PPF could be installed, and then re-applied overtop of PPF. For a moment I thought I might try the install myself until I realized it was beyond my skill set and I didn't want to attempt it on a new car. Fortunately the detailer knew just what needed to be done and completed the buffing, PPF install, and applying ceramic coat in one day. It looks great! If you're thinking about PPF, get it done first before ceramic coating your car. That was my lesson learned.

Attachments

• 20211216_153319.jpg
    20211216_153319.jpg
    510.7 KB · Views: 503
It kind of makes sense if you think about it.... Ceramic (as with any other type of sealant or coating) is temporary and will slowly fade off. I think good ceramic has around a 2-3 year lifespan. You wouldn't put temporary coating under a more permanent type of skin (PPF).

It kind of makes sense if you think about it.... Ceramic (as with any other type of sealant or coating) is temporary and will slowly fade off. I think good ceramic has around a 2-3 year lifespan. You wouldn't put temporary coating under a more permanent type of skin (PPF).
Ceramic is also very slick, making it hard for anything (e.g., dirt) to stick to it. You wouldn't want to apply PPF to something that's designed to not have stuff adhere to it.

Reactions: Black-Katt
IMO, it's pointless to apply a coat on PPF
Yes, I thought so too...

Firstly, cermanic can't be laid under PPF, it will not adhere properly it has to be buffed out. Any reputable installer would not do it.

Now, ceramics over PPF provides a sacrificial layer. Top-of-the-line products do give you 5+ years of protection as well as making maintenance easier and protecting the underlying layer (PPF or paint) from bird poop, road salts, etc. I use ONR in between mobile detailing.

I chose the ceramic over PPF (obviously) 😎
Here's Vader fresh out of the shop
20211210_144142.jpg
20211210_144245.jpg

Reactions: Black-Katt
I have a ceramic coating only. I am happy with it but I wonder if the carpool sticker will stick to it... Time will tell. I'm still waiting for the stickers.
I have ceramic coating and got some CAV sticker magnets from Slap Pass. I have no affiliation with them and just thought their idea was clever. Probably could have made them myself with some magnetic sheet from McMaster Carr.

Yes, I thought so too...

Firstly, cermanic can't be laid under PPF, it will not adhere properly it has to be buffed out. Any reputable installer would not do it.

Now, ceramics over PPF provides a sacrificial layer. Top-of-the-line products do give you 5+ years of protection as well as making maintenance easier and protecting the underlying layer (PPF or paint) from bird poop, road salts, etc. I use ONR in between mobile detailing.

I chose the ceramic over PPF (obviously) 😎
Here's Vader fresh out of the shop
View attachment 745238View attachment 745239
Vader…I love it! Love those Laminars, too!