Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF Ceramic Process question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

So I’m having the Xpel PPF with Ceramic Pro Gold package on the car once I pick up. They explained the process to me but wanted to check how that worked with people here.

The very nice lady at the store explained that they do the paint correction then apply the 4 coats of Ceramic Pro 9H then they instal Xpel Ultimate on top of that and then they instal the top coat.

I was under the impression it should be PPF first then Ceramic?

I trust the store and they do a lot of Tesla’s but I just wanted to see if people had it done with this system and this way before so it makes sense.

thanks everyone.

Chris

that was my understanding too, the ceramic coating could cause issue with getting the ppf to stick properly, paint correction->ppf->coating
i could be wrong though, also if they are a certified xpel installer, than you should be covered if the xpel fails in like 10yrs or so right?

That’s what i thought. They mentioned the top coat is the hydrophobic bit so the PPF can go on the 9h ceramic layer. They are certified Xpel and ceramic pro installers so I trust them it’s just more getting someone who has had it done to maybe help me I’d wear and a bit better.

ask again, maybe you heard wrong, or they said it backwards.

and good point about thinking if you are doing a delete of any kind. i did a chrom delete after ceramic and a few spots along the side mirrors had some residual rub off from my coating process and were tough to get the vinyl to stick

They confirmed that’s the way they do it. The 9h isn’t hydrophobic so they do the whole car then PPF and then they do the top coat. That’s the way they personally like to do it. They’re certified for both installs so I’m happy with what they are saying, it’s just the research I’d done it raised my eyebrow a little.

cant wait.

Here is how mine went:

1) Picked up car.
2) Washed and applied a coat of Zaino myself.
3) New car, no paint correction needed.
4) Had installer apply XPEL file to entire front and along rocker panels.
5) I applied 9H Ceramic Coating over the entire car, on top of the film and over the glass.

I suppose the coating could be under the film as well. Might make the film easier to replace 5 years down the road when it starts looking bad from being hit with rock & road debris.

Just because it's a new car doesn't mean its exempt from decon and paint correction....

Of course you can pay someone to do it( or do it yourself), but if the car is new there is no environmental damage to the paint in the first place. The best you can hope for is polishing the clear coat a bit for some added shine, but then you are just covering that with the ceramic coating which will have it’s own properties of light reflection and clarity.

They confirmed that’s the way they do it. The 9h isn’t hydrophobic so they do the whole car then PPF and then they do the top coat. That’s the way they personally like to do it. They’re certified for both installs so I’m happy with what they are saying, it’s just the research I’d done it raised my eyebrow a little.

cant wait.

I suggest you contact XPEL and ask them about this before proceeding. Call or email.