Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF vs Vinyl

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Tesla people,
im getting mine next month, and not sure if I should wrap or PPF it, i live in Ontario so September to May hand wash is not an option,
wonder if 3-5 winter washes in the regular car wash will seriously damage/peel the film,
anyone have any that kind of experience?
Thx!

The main purpose of a vinyl wrap is to change the color and look. It will cost less to wrap the entire car compared to applying PPF to the entire care, but the wrap will last only 3-4 years. PPF usually comes with a 10-year warranty. So if your main goal is to change the color and look of your Tesla and you don't mind having to redo the wrap in 3 or 4 years, that is your best option.

PPF is much thicker than a vinyl wrap and has self-healing properties. So if your main goal is to protect the car as much as possible then PPF is your best bet.

I personally had Xpel PPF applied to my Tesla back in 2018. The car is outside 24-7, including several months each year of 100+ summer temps. Other than a couple of very small blemishes, the PPF still looks amazing. I was recently in a parking lot and a stranger congratulated me on my new Tesla. He was shocked to find out that the car was actually over 5 1/2 years old. Although I wash my car once a week and take good care of it in general, I think the PPF has played a big role in the car continuing to look good after so many years.

Here is a great video that is very informative about PPF. Go to time mark 1:20 to see him purposely scratch his clearcoat with a wire brush and then see the scratch marks magically disappear with the application of some hot water.

Reactions: NashClearBra