Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-Heat/Cool success rates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd get a quick consensus from the forum... how long does it take you to connect to your car if you want to turn on the heat/AC for example through your phone app? One of my favourite features was the ability to pre-cool or heat your car as you're leaving a restaurant after leaving the car parked for a few hours. But the reality is that this works increasingly less often, and especially seems to fail when it's been a longer period of time. The app takes forever to wake the car up, and I either give up, or have reached the car and it's still trying to "wake up" the car. Is this normal, or just my car?

I wish that you could click the climate button as soon as the app launched then put away the phone. The app would send a signal to wake the car and start the climate but I could get on with packing my things and getting out of the office/house/whatever rather than waiting, and waiting, and...for the car to awaken so that I could send my command.

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd get a quick consensus from the forum... how long does it take you to connect to your car if you want to turn on the heat/AC for example through your phone app? One of my favourite features was the ability to pre-cool or heat your car as you're leaving a restaurant after leaving the car parked for a few hours. But the reality is that this works increasingly less often, and especially seems to fail when it's been a longer period of time. The app takes forever to wake the car up, and I either give up, or have reached the car and it's still trying to "wake up" the car. Is this normal, or just my car?

I might have been getting lucky thus far but when I leave work it takes me about 5 minutes to walk from my desk to my car. I fire up the app as soon as I leave my desk and I am usually connected within 15 seconds. By the time I arrive at the car, my preset temperature is usually spot on or 1 or 2 degrees hotter (Southern California weather).

So maybe I need to rephrase my question: the challenge is in getting the phone app and the car to connect to each other. Once you’ve got the connection, the climate control is quite effective and quick. My problem is getting the app to connect. It gets stuck on “waking up” forever. Is this common? Having the app very poor at connecting makes all the neat connectivity options basically useless.

Re: internet coverage, it’s all fine in theory. My car has had frequent issues connecting to a network, I frequently get in the car and it needs a few seconds to connect to the LTE, and the LTE randomly drops out while driving in a major city with no reason for lost connectivity.

I’ve had this issue from the beginning. Car in the driveway me in bed. I wake up but can only wake the car 3/10 tries. Drives me crazy. I think I’ve found a way around it though. I’m still testing it for a solid pool of results. Basically the phone is connected to the car with Bluetooth. I can unlock the car and then lock it again 10 seconds later. This seems to wake the car and then connect to the app for the internet features. This obviously won’t work if you’re out of Bluetooth range.

another kinda related issue is the charging port

sometimes when i press the button on the top of the connector to unlock, it does absolutely nothing. i have to open the driver's side rear door to wake the car up, then go back to the connector and then press the button to be able to remove it. i don't know why it can't send an "unlock" signal to the car so that i can remove it. i am obviously within range since i can open the door and even the trunk, but to unlock the charging cable i have to wake the car up another way either through the doors, trunk, or app.