Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Methods to open frunk while approaching a sleeping car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use the frunk everyday. Its a great compartment for my work backpack containing my laptop and for groceries and things can't move around too much up there. Once annoyance is that there is no exterior button or proximity sensor to open it while approaching the car with hands full. It also won't open via the app until the car is awake and waking the car via the app can take 10+ seconds.

Currently, I do one of these things, but is there a better way? Note that while I have a lot of apple product experience professionally, that experience has taught me to dislike apple's ecosystem and I don't use apple products in my personal life. Still interested if there is a better way to do this via apple products as Tesla caters more heavily to apple to android.

Current Methods:
-Wake the car via the app before i leave the office. As I walk to the car and can see it, hit the button on the app to open the frunk.
-Walk up to the car and open the drivers door, hit the frunk button on the screen.

Ideas:
-s3xy button on the outside of the car hidden? I think still won't work until the car is awake, which still means using the app or the door handle
-wire up emergency release behind tow hook cover to +12V power on a switch. Still won't work when car isn't awake and unlocked?
-s3xy button on the drivers door panel inside. Open door, hit button. Saves a reach to the screen.

Questions:
-Can the car be configured to wake when the phone key approaches?

The MY doesn't wake until the handle is pushed, no phone as key proximity sensing?
So it has some type proximity sensing. If you approach the rear hatch with the phone key, it will let you open up the hatch by hitting the button on the hatch without first waking the car. i.e. the rear hatch works like the driver's door. If the frunk could work like that, that would be a good solution.

Questions:
-Can the car be configured to wake when the phone key approaches?
That's exactly what your phone's Bluetooth does so you can operate the door latches: wakes up the car based on phone Bluetooth proximity.

Without the fob, you only have the two factory options you listed to open the frunk:
1) Use the app controls.
2) Use the vehicle touchscreen.

I'm unclear why you say you bother waking up your car in advance or why you think that would help. There is no frunk button on the vehicle so proximity sensing does nothing for opening the frunk. The app controls will simply open the frunk whenever you touch the frunk icon: no wakeup needed.

Reactions: zoomer0056
The app controls will simply open the frunk whenever you touch the frunk icon: no wakeup needed.
Yup, as it is, that's the least steps and most direct way to open the frunk. Also, when the app is opened the car wakes up.

I know the OP is looking for a slick solution. The OP might explore further with the Tessie app as it has automations.
1000026046.jpg

See this thread and pose the question to James@Tessie
Vendor - Official Tessie app talk

Last edited:
Reactions: joeinNFLA
The frunk button in the Tesla app always opened up the frunk of my MYP immediately without having to wait for the car to wake up. In fact, I just tried it. I opened the Tesla app and immediately hit the frunk button while the car on the screen is still in it's "shadow form". The frunk popped right away and the shadow car showed the frunk open as well. I've always just assumed that the frunk and trunk opening via the app is done via Bluetooth or NFC instead of the internet connection.

The most common way I open my frunk is actually via the S3XY button's smart action that opens the frunk with the driver side door handle held in the open position for 5 seconds (user defined duration).

The frunk button in the Tesla app always opened up the frunk of my MYP immediately without having to wait for the car to wake up. In fact, I just tried it. I opened the Tesla app and immediately hit the frunk button while the car on the screen is still in it's "shadow form". The frunk popped right away and the shadow car showed the frunk open as well. I've always just assumed that the frunk and trunk opening via the app is done via Bluetooth or NFC instead of the internet connection.
Agree, the vehicle does not have to be awake to open the frunk. You don’t need to be in bluetooth range, if you’re not you get warning that it can’t be closed remotely.

Power frunk takes care of that.
I‘m 68 years old. The day I can’t open the frunk lid with my hand, put me in an old folks home. Now excuse me, I have an acre of grass that needs mowing.

Agree, the vehicle does not have to be awake to open the frunk. You don’t need to be in bluetooth range, if you’re not you get warning that it can’t be closed remotely.
Interesting. I will try this today. When I have hit the frunk icon on the widget on the phone, it just opens the app and then wakes up the car. The frunk does not actually open if the car was asleep when I hit the button. When I tried this I was not in bluetooth range. I can see my car in my office parking lot from my office so I could see that the frunk did not open.

That's exactly what your phone's Bluetooth does so you can operate the door latches: wakes up the car based on phone Bluetooth proximity.
I believe that my car does not wake up based on proximity. When i approach the car with the phone in my pocket, the car does not wake appear to wake up. Once I push the button on the hatch, or pull the door handle, I hear the main relays click and the car wakes up.

Interesting. I will try this today. When I have hit the frunk icon on the widget on the phone, it just opens the app and then wakes up the car. The frunk does not actually open if the car was asleep when I hit the button. When I tried this I was not in bluetooth range. I can see my car in my office parking lot from my office so I could see that the frunk did not open.
You have to be in Bluetooth range. If the car is in Bluetooth range it can receive open/close and lock/unlock commands directly via Bluetooth and the car does not have to be awake and connected. Otherwise the command has to go through the internet to reach the car which requires the car to be awake and connected.

Reactions: zoomer0056