Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-Painted Rear Fascia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Kevy Baby

Dis-Member
Supporting Member
Aug 11, 2019
Brea, CA
I hunted high and low and couldn't find an answer.

I need to replace the Rear Fascia. I can see pre-painted ones in the parts catalog, but the Sales Restriction says "Tesla Only." Does that mean I cannot purchase it?

1692850817314.png

I recently had my rear bumper replaced by Tesla. It was surprisingly inexpensive for everything (part and labor). So, I had my local Tesla service center do everything. Below is a link to my post from another thread, where I provided more detail and attached a copy of the invoice from Tesla. I had considered buying just the part (a pre-painted bumper) and installing it myself. But, believe it or not, Tesla parts department quoted me a higher price for just the part, than what the Service department quoted me for both the bumper and installation. Just crazy pricing structure by Tesla. Anyway, good luck with your rear bumper!

I recently had my rear bumper replaced by Tesla. It was surprisingly inexpensive for everything (part and labor). So, I had my local Tesla service center do everything. Below is a link to my post from another thread, where I provided more detail and attached a copy of the invoice from Tesla. I had considered buying just the part (a pre-painted bumper) and installing it myself. But, believe it or not, Tesla parts department quoted me a higher price for just the part, than what the Service department quoted me for both the bumper and installation. Just crazy pricing structure by Tesla. Anyway, good luck with your rear bumper!

Good idea I hadn't thought of, but a couple of questions:
  1. That invoice shows an UNpainted fascia
  2. What was the $300 adjustment for on the part?
  3. Any idea what the cost of the PAINTED fascia is?
  4. Did the service department replace it or did you have to go to the body shop?

@GreenHokie Do you have any before and after pictures? How is the color match? Curious how it looks. Is your car an older model?

No before photos, but here is an after photo. Bumper is new of course, and all other adjacent panels are over 4 years old. I have a 2019 model, as indicated in my signature.
One can never really tell from a photo, but I would say it’s a perfect match. I’m 1000% satisfied with the results.

An important side note: My 4 year old car is always parked in a fully heated & air conditioned garage. I kid you not, my garage is probably cleaner and more comfortable than the inside of 99% of the homes out there. Also, I work mainly from home. So, my vehicle does not get nearly as much sun exposure as most vehicles. This could be a contributing factor as to why a newly painted panel is such a close/exact match to my older/original panels.

IMG_7329.jpeg

Last edited:
Good idea I hadn't thought of, but a couple of questions:
  1. That invoice shows an UNpainted fascia
  2. What was the $300 adjustment for on the part?
  3. Any idea what the cost of the PAINTED fascia is?
  4. Did the service department replace it or did you have to go to the body shop?
1. The description in that invoice is not correct. The bumper was definitely pre-painted. I saw it myself before the Service department installed it. Besides, my particular service center does not have the ability/equipment to paint larger body panels like this one.
2. That $300 was an existing credit that I had with Tesla , which got applied to this invoice. So, in other words, it was a $300 discount.
3. Believe it or not, Tesla’s parts department quoted me a price of $1100 for just the pre-painted bumper. Again, that was more expensive than what Tesla Service charged me for both the bumper and installation!! Crazy!!! However, I have a suspicion that Parts quoted me the wrong price, but I never asked them to double check their initial quote.
4. Yes, the Service department installed the bumper.

As a side note, my particular Tesla Service center is extremely responsive/good. Pretty much every service experience I’ve had with them has been stellar. Unfortunately based on the limited feedback on this forum, that seems to be the exception with Tesla Service

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevy Baby
1. The description in that invoice is not correct. The bumper was definitely pre-painted. I saw it myself before the Service department installed it. Besides, my particular service center does not have the ability/equipment to paint larger body panels like this one.
2. That $300 was an existing credit that I had with Tesla , which got applied to this invoice. So, in other words, it was a $300 discount.
3. Believe it or not, Tesla’s parts department quoted me a price of $1100 for just the pre-painted bumper. Again, that was more expensive than what Tesla Service charged me for both the bumper and installation!! Crazy!!! However, I have a suspicion that Parts quoted me the wrong price, but I never asked them to double check their initial quote.
4. Yes, the Service department installed the bumper.
Cool - thanks for the info. I got rear-ended a while ago (by another white 3!). I had a body shop lined up to do it (a long-time contact), but he backed out a couple of months in, so I need to find a way to get it fixed. I'll be stopping by the service center later today or next week.

Cool - thanks for the info. I got rear-ended a while ago (by another white 3!). I had a body shop lined up to do it (a long-time contact), but he backed out a couple of months in, so I need to find a way to get it fixed. I'll be stopping by the service center later today or next week.

You’re welcome. No collision or accident in my case. I went to have old PPF replaced on the rear bumper, and when the detail shop pulled/removed the old film, some of the paint peeled off the bumper. Not the detailer’s fault.
So, I had to replace the bumper before new PPF could be applied.

Good luck with your replacement!