Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-PTO test, are my PW2 units working or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I am doing something wrong here to turn the PWs on.

I turned everything off. Login to TEG webpage and “stop system”. Wait 10 minutes. PW lights are all off. Turn on PW toggle switches. PW lights come on. Wait about 10 minutes. The Tesla app shows 19% SOC. Turn on PW1 and PW2 breakers in the small Powerwall breaker box (nothing else in this box). Wait 5 minutes. Tesla app still shows 19% SOC. Turn on PW breaker in backup panel next to PV Solar breaker. Wait 10 minutes. Tesla app still shows 19% SOC. TEG webpage still shows 0%, never changed. From TEG webpage, “start system”. Wait. About 5 minutes later the Tesla app shows 0% now.

During my installation, everything was tested and working. My PW2 units during install testing showed 20% SOC. They turned everything off and left. My city inspection came the next day and everything cleared. They did not turn any of the system on, just visually looked at everything. So now I am waiting for PTO.

I decided to test the system. All good, but the PWs wont show in the Tesla app. The one thing I do remember is during the testing, there was an additional round meter plugged in above the hard pull disconnect on the outside wall. This meter looked similar to the normal round meter that NVEnergy has to read my usage. The install crew removed that meter and put a blank cover on. I am assuming that the meter they removed is needed to turn on the PWs, correct?

Your Powerwalls are there. Are the Powerwall switches turned on? Are their breakers turned on?

Also, if you browse to the gateway IP on your network, does it show Powerwall charge is 0% or maybe 5%? It's probable that they turned them off while you are awaiting PTO.

BTW, no, you shouldn't need that missing meter in order for the Powerwalls to work.

Sound like there is normally a meter between the Powerwalls and rest of the system. Can you post a photo or the single line drawing for your system? In any case if a meter is missing there is some part of the system that is disconnected. Based on what you've described it sounds like those are the Powerwalls.

I got my PTO on Wednesday. All went well.

I tested my system again on Monday before PTO and still the same results.

My Tesla on-site service call came on Tuesday before PTO. The tech took about 10 seconds to see the missing round meter above the hard pull disconnect and said that is my problem. He plugged in his testing meter to the round insert and sure enough the PWs lit up and started charging. He found it strange that the support staff person on the original call or the second level support that reviewed the ticket did not know this info.