Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prefabricated supercharger stalls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's an awful lot of prefabricated supercharger equipment being staged/assembled in Voluntown, CT. There are numerous 4-stall assemblies using the precast concrete base, but there are also many in a 2-stall configuration (using one SC cabinet) mounted on what looks to be a painted steel base. Everything appears to be V3 equipment, but I cannot confirm.

I counted the following at this site:

17 assembled 4-stall units (concrete base)
16 assembled 2-stall units (steel base)

In addition, there are another 35 precast concrete bases and 34 steel bases staged here for assembly.

This site is roughly halfway between the Lisbon, CT and Richmond, RI superchargers. It seems like an odd location for this volume of equipment as there is not much SC construction activity in this area of southern New England right now. The parts at this site would support over 300 charging stalls! Does anyone know the story?

20230107_155649.jpg

20230107_155812.jpg

20230107_155948.jpg

I know that Gordon does a lot of supercharger construction, but I have not yet seen many permits in New England using the prefab concrete base design. I think the sites under construction in Palmer (MA), Saco (ME) and Windham (ME) are using prefab but I don't think I've seen more than that. This assembly location has enough equipment present right now to serve ALL of the currently identified New England construction and permit locations - even assuming all the existing permits change to prefab design. It just seemed odd to me because it's not a centralized location by any means and the scale of this site doesn't seem to match the known construction plans in New England.

Also, keep in mind I say this even without considering the 50 two-stall units on a steel base that are also assembled and seem ready to go. I have not seen this style SC in any plans/permits or discussions anywhere. The only thing I've seen from Tesla similar to this is a temporary mobile charging unit they've provided by flatbed to supplement overwhelmed SC locations due to temporary extreme demand/holiday travel. The units I saw were a permanent design (conduit stubs). Am I the only one that's not seen this two-unit prefab design before? Does anyone know what the plans are for these dual stall units?

Given the quantity of materials at the site, it's probably safe to assume the the destinations for the assemblies extend beyond New England. The two post prefab units are similar to two/three post pre-fab temporary superchargers I've seen deployed in various places across the country. I know service centers can also have small non-public superchargers as well.

There are probably a number of contractors around the country tasked with putting these together for Tesla.

Given the quantity of materials at the site, it's probably safe to assume the the destinations for the assemblies extend beyond New England. The two post prefab units are similar to two/three post pre-fab temporary superchargers I've seen deployed in various places across the country. I know service centers can also have small non-public superchargers as well.

There are probably a number of contractors around the country tasked with putting these together for Tesla.
I hope that they are all New England bound and that they know of many more future locations that we do.

As for the two post on steel base might they be bound for the inside of the next service centers?

I hope that they are all New England bound and that they know of many more future locations that we do.

As for the two post on steel base might they be bound for the inside of the next service centers?
We can dream that New England is on a growth curve to use all of those prefab units... but that's not reality. A for the two post units, it's possible I guess, but given the timeline of when South Burlington and Londonderry projects are likely to get underway, these are likely headed elsewhere too.