Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preparing for MY delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been looking at MY as soon as it was announced.
Ever since it was released I went to Telsa website and priced it with the options I wanted.
Fear of first year model and overall quality issues kept me for buying it.
Tesla is unique because they keep in releasing software improvements even after we purchase the car.

I have read these and other Tesla forums. Many of the people getting Model Y's do face initial quality issues but most of these are resolved and they like the car. I read about poor service experience as well but I hope that once initial issues are fixed we will not have to deal the service issues often.

With these factors in mind I decided to take the plunge and ordered MY LR AWD Red on 10/9.

We have a standard 3 car garage. Wife has 2020 Acura MDX, I have 2007 Audi A4 Cab(44k milies) and 2008 Acura MDX 100K miles. In MN we get a lot of snow and ice so I always drive MDX with Snow tires on it. I have never driven my Audi in winter.

We are not driving much these days. My wife may go to work in Jan 2021 but I will be home until spring.
I am trying to make a decision about a few things:

1. Should I sell my 2008 Acura MDX or trade it as soon as get Model Y? I have seen people reject MY or return it in 7 days or having to keep MY in service center for weeks. This is why it is not easy to get rid of my old Acura MDX.

2. Other bdecision is about getting a L3 charger and wiring. If vast majority of people were getting flawless cars this would be a no brainer. It will cost me $1500-2000 to get wiring done. It takes 4-8 weeks to get the car, if I reject the car or return the car I heard that I may have to wait another 1 year before ordering it. So I am wondering if I can just rely on plugging the car in regular 110V and rely on super chargers until I have a car and it is working as expected.

Let me know if someone else has grappled with similar decision and if you have any suggestions.

Ever since it was released I went to Telsa website and priced it with the options I wanted.
Tesla is unique because they keep in releasing software improvements even after we purchase the car.

I have read these and other Tesla forums. Many of the people getting Model Y's do face initial quality issues but most of these are resolved and they like the car. I read about poor service experience as well but I hope that once initial issues are fixed we will not have to deal the service issues often.

With these factors in mind I decided to take the plunge and ordered MY LR AWD Red on 10/9.

We have a standard 3 car garage. Wife has 2020 Acura MDX, I have 2007 Audi A4 Cab(44k milies) and 2008 Acura MDX 100K miles. In MN we get a lot of snow and ice so I always drive MDX with Snow tires on it. I have never driven my Audi in winter.

We are not driving much these days. My wife may go to work in Jan 2021 but I will be home until spring.

1. Should I sell my 2008 Acura MDX or trade it as soon as get Model Y? I have seen people reject MY or return it in 7 days or having to keep MY in service center for weeks. This is why it is not easy to get rid of my old Acura MDX.

2. Other bdecision is about getting a L3 charger and wiring. If vast majority of people were getting flawless cars this would be a no brainer. It will cost me $1500-2000 to get wiring done. It takes 4-8 weeks to get the car, if I reject the car or return the car I heard that I may have to wait another 1 year before ordering it. So I am wondering if I can just rely on plugging the car in regular 110V and rely on super chargers until I have a car and it is working as expected.

Let me know if someone else has grappled with similar decision and if you have any suggestions.

I have gone through many of the same questions you have, so I can share some points.

First off, note that Tesla does keep releasing software improvements, but just as importantly, they release frequent, in-line hardware improvements. Just look at the improvements to the Octovalve (13 total) between the time Sandy Munro and team tore down an early (March 2020) Y and now.

I had a 2018 BMW X2 and knew I was replacing it with the Y. I heard about many of the same quality issues, so while I was pretty certain I'd take the Y, I held off selling my BMW until I received the Y and was sure I was keeping it. So for about two weeks I kept them both in the 2-car garage we have. I decided to sell my BMW third party, and sold it via Carvana - which was an amazing experience, and they gave me $4K more than I owed on it - which to me, meant that took care of half of my $8K FSD cost.

On the charger, I think you mean Level 2, not Level 3 charger unless you're talking about installing a fast DC charger at the house (doubtful). Maybe you mean the Tesla Gen 3 wall connector? Anyway, I went with the Tesla Gen 3 wall connector, it cost about $1200 to install (and the cost was $500 for the connector), including permits, because I had to have an electrician run a wire from my box in the basement to the garage. It was a pretty long run. I have done 95% of my charging at home since then, and it's the perfect set up for me. I have a 60-mile commute a couple of times a week, and the rest of the time I'm teleworking. I also have an occasional road trip. On commute days, I charge to 80% (I really don't need that much but better to have it), and when I'm home I leave it at around 65% for around town stuff. If something comes up fast and I need to leave, there are superchargers around me, within 15-20 miles. Yes, you CAN rely on Supercharging and 120V charging at home, but I really don't recommend it. Even if you aren't sure on a wall connector, a NEMA 14-50 outlet would be better than a 120V outlet...which is painfully slow (think 24 hours or more to go from low SOC to a good 80-90%). Using the gen 2 Universal Mobile Connector (UMC) with the included 5-15 adapter gives you a max of 12A of charge with 3-5 miles of range added/hour. May be able to get away with it if you barely drive or just go around town. The UMC with a 14-50 connector (you can buy this for $35) at 240V would give you around 40A and 29 miles of range/hour. Much more ideal. The wall connector, on a 60A circuit, as I have, gives you max 48A current, and at 11.5kW, will net you up to 42 miles/hour. There are endless discussions here about a range of questions, and you can learn a lot from the great community here. I hope that helps.

Last edited:
I'll chime in about charging. Think carefully about whether you actually need a wall charger. You might pay for capacity you don't need.

When I was doing pre-order research, I initially assumed I would need a charger, just because. But as I did more research, I concluded that I didn't need one. I had a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in my garage. It's on a 40 amp circuit, which is the maximum that the mobile connector that comes with the car will allow. That gives me roughly 30 miles of range per hour of charge. That's more than enough for me. Do you need more? Doesn't sound like it from your post.

As for chances of you wanting to reject the car, I think they're pretty slim. Could happen, of course, but if you're not extremely particular, you're probably going to be fine. Reading these forums is very helpful, but can paint a bit of an unfair picture of what percentage of cars get rejected.

See if you can sell your MDX to Carvana or your local Acura/Honda dealer. When I took the quote for trading in our CRV, the offer from Tesla was the lowest. Recently I took the CRV for an oil change at a Honda dealer and they wanted to buy it( not a trade-in) which was around $3500 more than what Tesla offered. So you may still be able to make a profit even without the trade-in sales tax advantage.

The one-year limitation is only if you return within 7 days, if you reject the car they will give you another car as soon as possible(max would be 8 weeks for this). My decision was to reject the car only for paint issues as the rest of the issues can be fixed on a service visit. It should not take weeks unless there is paint involved.

As you drive less these days and you have other cars, you can definitely wait to get the wiring done until after you get the car and you are happy. You should be able to manage with the 110v or you can get an extension cord to run from your dryer outlet to your garage in the interim.