Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price of Model 3 in Japan?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody got any idea what they are priced in Japan?

Reason I ask is that many many years ago I bought a Japanese import Mitsubishi FTO (brilliant little car, 200BHP from 2.0 litre 24v V6 engine with a very clever Automatic gearbox), as japan are RHD too, only thing that needed adding was a fog light to get it road legal here in the UK, it got me thinking, could the market be flooded here in the future with 2nd hand Japanese import Model 3's, guess it depends on pricing and if charging is compatible, guessing it could be completely different, any thoughts?

The reason that second hand cars from Japan are/were cheap is that their equivalent to the MOT which happens every 3 years and is very very tough. To the point where the cost of getting a car through often makes it more economical to ship cars out of the country to other less fussy RHD markets. A cynic might say that this is a deliberate ploy to stimulate the car market. Usually these go to Australia or New Zealand but if the exchange rate is right some find their way to the UK. Sadly the personal import loophole that avoided an SVA test on arrival was closed years ago I think which adds more cost etc. Then there is the issue of adding a rear fog light etc. and I imagine Japanese M3's would not be CCS equipped either. Most of these imports I have seen in the past did not look like they had been particularly well looked after, not ideal for an EV battery, and often had some very naff stuff added to them inside and out.
So my point is its possible but don't hold your breath, be careful what you wish for, and you will probably have to wait at least 3 years to find out.