Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problems problems...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now before I sound off a wee bit here, let me say that I've had an X100D since last Apr and I'm not here to troll. To vent a we bit, but actually mostly to see if I'm not alone in this!

I've wanted a Tesla for a few years, but the S-P90D went through the wife filter and because a 7 seater X!
The door are wonderful, the farts, the show-off factor all amazing.

I do, however, have a few probs, and it would be great to see if others have these as well:

1. Autopilot. I'm not confident in this at all, I'm afraid.
1.1 Lane splitting - still just gets hella confused when 1 lane changes to 2.
1.2 Changing lanes - the number of times it gives up changing lanes for apparently no reason is mad.
1.3 Phantom braking - we all have this I guess.
1.4 Accelerating when person in front moves over - Takes sooooooo long. It waits for the car to be FULLY in the other lane and then some before it starts to accelerate. It's embarrassing.
1.5 Swerving - It's gone back to swerving around the lane again. I thought this was solved last time.
2. Voice control - The last few months it NEVER worked the 1st time. Always had to wait for it to time out then do it again. With the latest update it now hardly understands me at all, and sometimes I have to shout.
3. Maps. Maybe because of MCU1, but the maps are almost useless when scrolling around. Moving or zooming in the map, by the time it's loaded it up again, it's timed out and gone back to my current location.
4. Windscreen wipers - The less said about these the better. Awful. Why can they not get this right? My 99 Alfa is much better.
5. Doors see imaginary obstacles. Doors tend to open half way pretty often for no obvious reason.
6. Build quality. Mine's a Jan '18 model, but still plasticy, uneven lines (doors etc).

Things they seem to have fixed:
1. Spotify judder. That was annoying. Skipped a fraction of a second quite often.
2. Dancing cars on the display.
3. Thinking cars in the next lane are in mine, and so hard braking.

So I'm ready for some abuse, but please go easy. I'm trying to love this car like everyone here is, and I'm hoping I'm just unlucky.

Are these common problems?

Ferg.

Probably few comments because your car is 2 1/3 years old. Has the earlier MCU1, which has not been replaced with the many times faster MCU3 and 2.5 Autopilot computer which is 20X times slower than the current 3.0 Autopilot.

Tons of upgrades since yours.

Autopilot has areas where it works fantastic, and other areas where it struggles. You have pointed out the areas where it struggles.

I just came home to San Diego from Phoenix, used Autopilot 90% of the way. Kept out of the far right lane when lots of on and off ramps might confuse the system, and cruised all the way, mostly in the middle lanes. Worked fantastic, with only one unnessary slowing when a truck we were passing made moves like it was coming over into our lane. It even did pretty well in some construction zones, but I was much more ready to take over at any bobble.

Owners tend to learn where it works well, and take advantage of those situations. Relying on Autopilot in challenging situations is not yet prudent.

While I understand your basic point, these aren't outliers I'm talking about wrt functionality, these are standard operations, particularly re Autopilot... It isn't too much to ask that the car doesn't embarrass you in front of other drivers.

When I drive on AP its not just that I'm ready to rake over at any time, I constantly have to take over! I can't realistically go on AP, on the motorway, for more than a few minutes before it gets confused, decides not to speed up properly, slows down for no reason, gives in while changing lanes etc.

The other points, about voice, maps etc, I was rather hoping the answer wasn't "Well, you should expect crap behaviour from a 2 Yr old car". That would be unfortunate for a car much feted as upgradeable etc.

Now before I sound off a wee bit here, let me say that I've had an X100D since last Apr and I'm not here to troll. To vent a we bit, but actually mostly to see if I'm not alone in this!

I've wanted a Tesla for a few years, but the S-P90D went through the wife filter and because a 7 seater X!
The door are wonderful, the farts, the show-off factor all amazing.

I do, however, have a few probs, and it would be great to see if others have these as well:

1. Autopilot. I'm not confident in this at all, I'm afraid.
1.1 Lane splitting - still just gets hella confused when 1 lane changes to 2.
1.2 Changing lanes - the number of times it gives up changing lanes for apparently no reason is mad.
1.3 Phantom braking - we all have this I guess.
1.4 Accelerating when person in front moves over - Takes sooooooo long. It waits for the car to be FULLY in the other lane and then some before it starts to accelerate. It's embarrassing.
1.5 Swerving - It's gone back to swerving around the lane again. I thought this was solved last time.
2. Voice control - The last few months it NEVER worked the 1st time. Always had to wait for it to time out then do it again. With the latest update it now hardly understands me at all, and sometimes I have to shout.
3. Maps. Maybe because of MCU1, but the maps are almost useless when scrolling around. Moving or zooming in the map, by the time it's loaded it up again, it's timed out and gone back to my current location.
4. Windscreen wipers - The less said about these the better. Awful. Why can they not get this right? My 99 Alfa is much better.
5. Doors see imaginary obstacles. Doors tend to open half way pretty often for no obvious reason.
6. Build quality. Mine's a Jan '18 model, but still plasticy, uneven lines (doors etc).

Things they seem to have fixed:
1. Spotify judder. That was annoying. Skipped a fraction of a second quite often.
2. Dancing cars on the display.
3. Thinking cars in the next lane are in mine, and so hard braking.

So I'm ready for some abuse, but please go easy. I'm trying to love this car like everyone here is, and I'm hoping I'm just unlucky.

Are these common problems?

Ferg.
I've owned an S for 5 years and just traded in for a 2018 100D. I think the label "Autopilot" is wrong. It's more like "Assisted Driving".
I feel very confident on the highway but you still have to keep an eye out for those you know what's that cut you off. I find myself not waiting for the car to respond and grabbing the wheel. For the most part though, I don't feel confident with it on the local roads but on the highway, its' great.
You can adjust the car length so maybe that will help.
I think the some of your points are valid and will be worked out over timer. My pet pieve is the visors. I have to hang something from it when the sun is coming in from the right.
Still the safest car on the road and where do you find a 7 passenger vehicle that looks good.

Mine is a MY12/2016 and the autopilot works ok. However it does keep testing me to touch the wheel every few minutes. Is that normal?

Remember, the systems in all production vehicles are all assistants. They are not "hands-free" or full self driving.. even the promised FSD won't be fully autonomous anytime soon (if ever), and will still require human intervention and input.

You are technically required to maintain vehicle control at all times... The assistance from the vehicle is just that, assistance from fatigue. Think of cruise control on crack.