Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problems w/ Auto High-beam dimming and Cameras

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Schwachs

International Man of Leisure
Jan 5, 2018
Arlington, MA
I have had this recurring problem w my Tesla Model S - on and off since I bought it new in December 2017.

Sporadically, the car experiences two symptoms:

1. The high-beams turn on automatically during the day - when it's bright and sunny and will stay on for anywhere from 30 seconds to a few minutes.
  2. During this time, the car will not be able to go into any auto-pilot mode.

My S has been in service for this at least five (5) times over the last 17 months for this - likely more but I've lost count. They have replaced cameras and performed various upgrades and the last time it was in service for five days - and yet, it happened again this morning.

My questions are the following:

- Is anyone else having this issue?
- Anyone know how to escalate an issue like this? If I have to call the general service line again and be told to reboot my car, I am going to lose it.

Thank you in advance.

-- Joshua

gee, just when I thought I heard everything..... haven't heard that one.
Have you considered calling a priest to perform an exorcism? Especially if the headlights start spinning around :rolleyes:
I'll be interested in hearing the outcome of this one.

I almost wish more people were having this problem. I'm at the point where I'm going to call my local attn general and figure out what legal recourse I have. I love my S but this is getting ridiculous.

Yup!
Have this same issue that occurs randomly. I have found that the problem goes away if I just put the car in park and then back into drive (works 90% of the time).
Originally I had this problem a year ago and nothing would work to get the lights to turn off, or get AP back online. They replaced a sensor (see image of invoice for the work) and since then it occurs maybe once every couple weeks. Oddly enough I have been on firmware 2019.12.1.1 for a few weeks now and it has not occurred at all. Seems worse on certain firmware versions.

Also - I believe you can escalate an issue on the Tesla website under support (log in and go to support). You can submit an issue online, and in the drop down before you submit you can select ‘Escalate’ or something along those lines.

Attachments

• E4515BDB-58B1-4DFD-AB3A-7DE8CC1B8925.jpeg
    E4515BDB-58B1-4DFD-AB3A-7DE8CC1B8925.jpeg
    649.4 KB · Views: 49
Hey! Think I finally received the answer to this problem - it seems the Autopilot computer is shutting itself down due to heat in the cabin of the car. There is a firmware bug out there, likely related to either Sentry Mode or the Tilt/Intrusion sensor that turns off the Cabin Overheat Protection feature of the car. When this occurs, the cabin overheats and the Autopilot computer shuts down causing issues with the Auto headlights, high beams, and prevents AP from engaging. Summary attached from the service center... not sure if disabling the tilt/intrusion sensor will fix it temporarily or not using sentry mode when it is hot out (one of them is disabling the Cabin Overheat protection).
upload_2019-6-15_13-27-34.png