Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Significant improvement on auto high beams

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lately I've noticed a significant improvement on the behavior of the auto high beam on the MS. In the past, the high beams would rarely activate even on the darkest roads. Now, it appears that they operate as designed and stay on until the cameras detect oncoming traffic or vehicles in front within approx. 500 feet. It finally looks like Tesla quietly got this fixed behind the scenes. I don't believe this improvement is mentioned in the release notes. Curious to hear if anyone else noticed this. Thanks in advance.

I have noticed better auto headlight dimming, and better auto wipers, although the latest release seems to have taken a step backward on auto wipers. The wipers again fail to clear the windshield until after the auto cruise control says it is degraded because of weather, and I can no longer wait for the auto wipers to begin to work. I can even turn the selector stalk to go from normal delay to less delay, and the wipers did not come on until I finally manually selected "on".

Reactions: mm9351
Yes, the AutoHighBeam function has improved significantly. I've come to use it regularly now where it was just an annoyance in past releases. I wish the UI team would allow it to operate at any speed, not just over 25 MPH. Where I drive, there are wild animals, mainly deer, crossing the road from dusk to dawn in a dirt road residential area where everyone keeps their speed down around 15 to 20 MPH. I don't see any reason to put a threshold at 25 or above but others may know of one. Comments or better knowledge is welcomed. Cheers.

Reactions: AudiA4 and Big Earl
Opposite here, for the last several months I have never seen the auto high beams come on, even on a dark road at 45MPH with no traffic, nothing. I just turned it off, assume that much like the intermittent wipers that Tesla broke back in August they broke this too. The promise of continous updates sort of fails when things get continuously broken and then never fixed.

Reactions: DerbyDave
The problem with thes cars,a nd the reason I'll likely never buy another one, it's impossible to tell if the hardware is broken or it's software. And then you get to pay as evidenced by some of the AP bricking threads. In this case I've just disabled the auto high beams and use it like a regular fiunctional car.

The problem with thes cars,a nd the reason I'll likely never buy another one, it's impossible to tell if the hardware is broken or it's software. And then you get to pay as evidenced by some of the AP bricking threads. In this case I've just disabled the auto high beams and use it like a regular fiunctional car.
Same problem with today’s gas cars, all the electronics just to spin crankshaft and move piston have put the shade tree mechanic out of business.

I just commented in another forum, I have been driving home tonight testing out autopilot as I just recently purchased a 18 M3P, and they are comically bad. Often switching between high and low multiple times a minute. I don't think I saw them stay on high for more than 2 minutes at a time. No traffic, no lights, only reflective markers across both sides of the road. I'm guessing that that's what's kicking it out.