Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Processing VAT refund from Tesla Germany

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered my Model X using my Czech company. From what I read, I will have to pay the invoice with VAT. Given that my company is a VAT-registered company in Czech, I am not so sure whether I have to pay in Czech Financial Authority, then take the VAT refund from Tesla Germany, then process the VAT refund from Czech Financial authority.

Has anyone done this? Can anyone recommend a company who can assist?

Check with your Financial Authority whether they will acknowledge that you paid VAT already, and not charge you additionally. In Croatia there is a chance that they charge VAT based on total amount, including VAT paid in Germany. o_O

This is the reason I decided to order from NL.

Hi Nicebag, thanks for the reply.

As I understand it, orders in Tesla Netherlands website is actually much more expensive compared to Germany or Austria. What is the key differentiating factor that made it clearer for you to go for the order in Netherlands and not Germany. It cannot be that it's lower VAT rate since Netherlands has 21% compared to Germany's 19%.

Is it that Netherlands did not charge you VAT so you only had to pay VAT once in Croatia without needing to do the refund process in Netherlands?

Correct, NL will sell you car without VAT on invoice. However, you will have to pay the same amount of VAT as guarantee that you will export the car out of NL.

According to the Tesla Graz, Tesla lost couple of mil € in Europe, because of the VAT not being properly charged and export papers returned from the customers.

So, only NL will issue invoice without VAT.