Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot is useless on non-highway roads.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I cannot find a way to submit issues through the US version of the site. Following your link, then logging in, they give me only pre-canned questions and answers..
Try to use "Vehicle & App Features" and then there will be second dropdown - select "Autopillot..." option:
Snímek obrazovky 2024-04-10 142327.png

They will show you a few tutorials and ask if you need further assistance, choose yes and you'll be shown a textbox limited to 500 character where you can ask your question:

Snímek obrazovky 2024-04-10 142338.png

Great that you also have speed sign reading issue, maybe they can help with that, i.e. it's easier to address than to fix all maps.

They seem to make filing complaint or bugs fixes nearly impossible here. All throughout their site they allude to the option of contacting the customer support team directly, however there is not such option available. I scanned through each answer link, through my account, etc. The only options of contact I can find is a phone number and requesting service on the app, which does not seem fitting in this case.

1712753977904.png

Last edited:
Here are a few more recent images:

This should have displayed 55mph speed limit (2 lane county highway):
Screenshot 2024-04-03 111026.png

This should have displayed 55mph (2 lane county highway):
Screenshot 2024-04-03 110940.png

This should have displayed 65mph (4 lane US [federal] highway). This instance happened in the dark. Unfortunately, the other instances on this hwy in the day, I was riding solo and could not capture an image. All instances have occurred at different locations. Never consistent. Sometimes it is correct, other times it isn't. Experiencing this in two different cars, so not an issue tied to a single car.
20240408_210235.jpg

@jhneuerburg shoot they indeed made it impossible to contact them from the USA?! That's surprising...

Your issues seems to be due to wrong map data? If so - it seems it plagued tesla it seems forever (as per forum posts) and it's unlikely they'll do anything with it. How much do you estimate you get wrong vs right the speed limit on those 2 lanes roads? Support constantly recommended to send "report incorrect speed limit" reports via voice commands - did you try that?

It seems it's not my case though.

What I've observed that after update in addition to wrong map data (which is still allowed to use autopilot on 50-70% of 2 lane roads) it added speed sign reading reducing (non highway) roads where autopilot is usable to 5-10%, it looks like this:

1713037284159.png

It doesn't look bad here but imagine a stretch between tesla sees 30km/hr sign and next sign can be 20-50 km - so for all that duration autopilot is useless as it'll be keep applying that low limit no matter what.

I've recently driven 3.5 hours on such 2-lane road on 9 hours long drive (avoiding traffic jam) and I was just exhausted by that part of the road, 2 lanes windy road where I needed to drive tesla like I had some 20 years old car. While driving there 9hr on highway I've arrived rested on autopilot.

So much so that I've scheduled a test drive of a new Corolla for a whole weekend - if it could handle those windy roads, I'm seriously considering returning tesla (and probably taking a hit financially) and get toyota instead. I've had corolla with Toyota Safety Sense 2.0 - it couldn't handle 30-40% of those roads so it was on pair with tesla before speed sign reading was introduced (where tesla follows road perfectly but applied too low speed limits from map data so had to drive manually). TSS 3.0 supposed to be much more advanced in following road ability.

@jhneuerburg shoot they indeed made it impossible to contact them from the USA?! That's surprising...

Your issues seems to be due to wrong map data? If so - it seems it plagued tesla it seems forever (as per forum posts) and it's unlikely they'll do anything with it. How much do you estimate you get wrong vs right the speed limit on those 2 lanes roads? Support constantly recommended to send "report incorrect speed limit" reports via voice commands - did you try that?

What I've observed that after update in addition to wrong map data (which is still allowed to use autopilot on 50-70% of 2 lane roads) it added speed sign reading reducing (non highway) roads where autopilot is usable to 5-10%, it looks like this:

View attachment 1038355
It doesn't look bad here but imagine a stretch between tesla sees 30km/hr sign and next sign can be 20-50 km - so for all that duration autopilot is useless as it'll be keep applying that low limit no matter what.

I've recently driven 3.5 hours on such 2-lane road on 9 hours long drive (avoiding traffic jam) and I was just exhausted by that part of the road, 2 lanes windy road where I needed to drive tesla like I had some 20 years old car. While driving there 9hr on highway I've arrived rested on autopilot.

So much so that I've scheduled a test drive of a new Corolla for a whole weekend - if it could handle those windy roads, I'm seriously considering returning tesla (and probably taking a hit financially) and get toyota instead. I've had corolla with Toyota Safety Sense 2.0 - it couldn't handle 30-40% of those roads so it was on pair with tesla before speed sign reading was introduced (where tesla follows road perfectly but applied too low speed limits from map data so had to drive manually). TSS 3.0 supposed to be much more advanced in following road ability.
If you’re gonna buy a Corolla, buy one that is compatible with CommaAI OpenPilot. OP is 10x better than TSS and will give you the hands free driving you are seeking.

That being said, I drove several OP compatible Toyotas and Hondas and the droning engine sound was extremely annoying on long highway drives. The hybrid versions were more tolerable though.

View attachment 1038355

This is exactly what i am seeing multiple places i drive.

It applies some low speed limit, but fails to read or maybe because of faulty map data, the sign that cancels the speed limit and wants to drive with a crazy slow speed (50 kph in 80 kph zone)

Here the law states that if the speed limit deviates from the normal one, there should be a sign every 1 kilometer, showing the speed.

Normal speed for ordinary "outside of cities, but not a motorway" roads is 80 kph.

If, at some place they lower the speed limit to f.ex 60 (Typically going through a small "city", some houses near the road), if i do not see another 60 sign within a kilometer, i am legally allowed to speed up to 80.

The Tesla will gladly on such a stretch drive for 20+ kilometers, claiming the low 60 speed limit, even though it has not seen a single sign for 20 kilometers.

In those cases i usually just apply ACC without AP, because ACC will gladly do 80 even though the car thinks 60 is the allowed limit.

If you’re gonna buy a Corolla, buy one that is compatible with CommaAI OpenPilot. OP is 10x better than TSS and will give you the hands free driving you are seeking.
Oh, interesting the situation of OpenPilot for Teslas, I've seen it supposed to be available March 2024, maybe this can solve issues I'm having, definitely will be cheaper than to change the car (especially that Tesla is superior in every aspect but autopilot).
I'll open a separate thread, thanks for the tip!

Btw I've though it install it on my Toyota with TSS v2.0 but it seems it didn't have driving distance setting (at least back in 2021-22) and it was keeping too large of a distance, where in Eastern Europe people tailgating as a norm.

That being said, I drove several OP compatible Toyotas and Hondas and the droning engine sound was extremely annoying on long highway drives. The hybrid versions were more tolerable though.

Lol :) Yeah that's true, so much so that I've used a service that installed additional sound dampening so engine won't be that loud - that helped quite a lot, otherwise the noise could melt one's brain.

It applies some low speed limit, but fails to read or maybe because of faulty map data, the sign that cancels the speed limit and wants to drive with a crazy slow speed (50 kph in 80 kph zone)
That sounds like map data issue (which may be fixed with reporting), in my case it reads sign cancelling speed limit but in Europe most of the time speed limit cancel is done by other situations than a sign (like an intersection, leaving town etc) so tesla end up not cancelling the limit at all and applying a limit until it sees another sign (which is also usually lower than normal limit and applies only for 10-15 seconds until for example an intersection)

Btw indeed regular AP is not limited by incorrect speed limits, I bet it's not annoying to use in the states, in Europe our non-highway roads look like this:

1713097286110.png

Not sure if it's visible on map but there are just a few straight stretches, you constantly have to steer, non-stop, and if the car does that for you it removes like 90% of fatigue.

Oh, interesting the situation of OpenPilot for Teslas, I've seen it supposed to be available March 2024, maybe this can solve issues I'm having, definitely will be cheaper than to change the car (especially that Tesla is superior in every aspect but autopilot).
I'll open a separate thread, thanks for the tip!

Btw I've though it install it on my Toyota with TSS v2.0 but it seems it didn't have driving distance setting (at least back in 2021-22) and it was keeping too large of a distance, where in Eastern Europe people tailgating as a norm.

Lol :) Yeah that's true, so much so that I've used a service that installed additional sound dampening so engine won't be that loud - that helped quite a lot, otherwise the noise could melt one's brain.

That sounds like map data issue (which may be fixed with reporting), in my case it reads sign cancelling speed limit but in Europe most of the time speed limit cancel is done by other situations than a sign (like an intersection, leaving town etc) so tesla end up not cancelling the limit at all and applying a limit until it sees another sign (which is also usually lower than normal limit and applies only for 10-15 seconds until for example an intersection)

Btw indeed regular AP is not limited by incorrect speed limits, I bet it's not annoying to use in the states, in Europe our non-highway roads look like this:

View attachment 1038472
Not sure if it's visible on map but there are just a few straight stretches, you constantly have to steer, non-stop, and if the car does that for you it removes like 90% of fatigue.
I tried the reporting, it seems to do nothing.

In one place there is a road with 2 lanes in each direction, at some point there is a turning lane, made specifically for one house because on the rest of the stretch there is a rather wide grass divider.

Every time i navigate there, it tells me to keep to the 2 straight lanes and NOT use the turn lane. Completely not needed to give me guidance there. It even shows the turn lane as a turn around lane, even though it is not even legal to turn around there.

In another place i drive down the main street in "my" city and have to make a left, but the car seems to think i should make a right turn, the go straight ahead and then make 2 left turns.

I tried reporting both, but fck all has happened. :)

If i started reporting every time there was a map error, they would have to hire someone, exclusively to fix the errors i report i think :)

Reactions: jhneuerburg