Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot is useless on non-highway roads.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did it work for you? I've created a separate topic for that - Does reporting incorrect speed limit works?
But people weren't very optimistic about that. I've reported it multiple times before (when it was using wrong map data) but cannot verify now as on 2.5 hours drive now speed limit is completely off due to incorrect speed limit signs application (like it takes school zone limit and applies it for the next 10-15 minutes of drive on 2 lanes road outside of city limits)

Hm, that's actual may be a viable option, what's about speed sign reading? Perhaps if they didn't push the update to read speed limits I indeed could just use an older Tesla. Does your car read speed limits (from signs)?
I have a 2015 AP1 Model S. It is very strict on speed limits (+5mph max) on non-highway roads for auto steering, but not for Adaptive Cruise.

• Informative
Reactions: primedive
I’ve submitted big reports for this since 2021. I didn’t notice it getting worse with software updates but I haven’t seen improvements either. Specifically on 225 going north out of Alliance, Ohio (where Route 62 ends) the car never updates to the 55 MPH speed limit of the area. Both Apple Maps and Google Maps show it. Unfortunately there’s no speed limit sign for the cameras to read (I have no idea why) but it’s stuck at 35 if I remember correctly.

Like others have stated you can’t increase the max speed enough on basic Autopilot to get to 55. I had the FSD beta for a few months and it was no issue then.

I hope this is something that can get corrected. I’ve seen it on other roads but I drove that one so regularly for work I sent the bug report every single time. I’ll have to test it the next time I’m in the area. Having some kind of map submission system would be great, I’ve done it for Apple and Google and they seem responsive if you can document changes.

I noted last night while reviewing the update notes for the update I'm currently delaying downloading that the camera being used for European signs is part of that update. I was going to suggest making sure you update your car but see you already have and tesla's implementation of this new 'feature' is what makes AP unusable for you now.

Good luck getting anyone who can do something about this hearing your cries. I'd suggest looking for local tesla owners groups to join and getting the European owners to create press coverage of the issue of the car not reading "end speed zone" signs (which is common across Europe, if not the all non-North American jurisdictions). Perhaps that's the better way to put pressure on tesla.

I am curious. What is the temperature outside when you are experiencing this?

I would assume that if the temperature is below 0°C +- 2, the vehicle will limit excess speeds due to the potential of ice on the roads.
Interesting suggestion, however I've experienced it in any temperatures, both around 1C and 10-15C

However!!!!!

Recently I've driven the same road where I normally have issues (tesla reading speed sign like 30 and applying it for dozens kilometers) - and I didn't have it. There were a few stretches where speed limit wasn't applied correctly but it looked more like wrong map data (suddenly changed to actual speed limit mid road, applied only for 2-4km)

Wondering, were there any changes recently? (however, I haven't received updates for about 2 weeks)

If not, perhaps Tesla doesn't read signs at night.

Reactions: vermell
Picked up my new MYRWD two days ago. Due to the screwed up laws in my state where direct to consumer sales are illegal (we’re working on that) I had to take delivery out of state. The one in inventory that matched my specs was over 600 miles (1000km) away. Took delivery and immediately got on the interstate.

On the interstate basic TACC worked great. There is some tinkering with the settings that needs to be done but on the whole the default settings did the job.

However on two lane roads it’s a disaster. Phantom braking. False lane departure warnings. Basically unusable for this situation. Tesla can and should do better.

Oh, and auto wipers? Complete joke. But I knew that going in.

Oh, @HankE-LA , I'm surprised. Well, if it'll help:

1) It was MUCH worse, before it could start braking just out of nowhere, on absolutely empty road with no traffic etc. Now I have breaking but it's no longer that phantom - it's usually oncomming traffic in a turn and the car is confused that it's going straight on.
If your car brakes out of nowhere on empty road - wondering, maybe the car need to learn something or calibrate sensors? I've experienced phantom braking for the first 3-4 months of ownership and assumed that they went away with the OTA updates.

2) I've driven many cars from many makers (Japanese, Korean, German) - all of them were beeping from time to time when you drive close to lane. I prefer it this way as beeping cannot hurt but when I accidentelly leaving lane and not noticing it can be fatal.

Oh, @HankE-LA , I'm surprised. Well, if it'll help:

1) It was MUCH worse, before it could start braking just out of nowhere, on absolutely empty road with no traffic etc. Now I have breaking but it's no longer that phantom - it's usually oncomming traffic in a turn and the car is confused that it's going straight on.
If your car brakes out of nowhere on empty road - wondering, maybe the car need to learn something or calibrate sensors? I've experienced phantom braking for the first 3-4 months of ownership and assumed that they went away with the OTA updates.
Phantom braking is also a function of road type and weather. Hot weather making mirages, or altitude undulations, on a long straight road with little traffic (e.g. summer interstate travel in low density areas) is most likely to cause PB.

OP, you are not alone!! Same issue here in the US! This is one of my two main issues:

1) The car defaults to 30mph (sometimes 65mph) on nearly all county highway roads which are generally 55mph speed limit in my area after the holiday update.
2) Way too many wheel nags with HAND(S) ON THE WHEEL.

This last update has been a major step backwards for my car. Photos provided for examples (all speed limits should have displayed 55mph):
1711129473873.png

1711129497630.png

1711129556559.png

1711129748215.png

1) The car defaults to 30mph (sometimes 65mph) on nearly all county highway roads which are generally 55mph speed limit in my area after the holiday update.
2) Way too many wheel nags with HAND(S) ON THE WHEEL.
1) At least in the US you can buy or subscribe FSD beta and it'll allow you to override speed limit, Tesla support confirmed that it's not available in Europe (i.e. FSD won't allow to override speed limits)

2) Try the newest firmware, 2024.8.* - it's MUCH better now, I have a feeling that Elon watched Duog Demuro's video about Model 3 Highland. Amount of steering input required is like 5-10 times lower for me and I got fewer nags (down to like once in 15-30 minutes from nagging so much that I couldn't use autopilot without cheating device)

1) We have FSD on one of our cars and it still limits to 5mph over speed limit on non-major highways. Yay, so I can go 35 in a 55, instead of 30!!!! So FSD is near useless on that car. They need to fix speed limits in general or provide a path for submitting corrections for both FSD and autopilot.

2) My non-fsd car is on 2024.2. No updates available. So again, there is no official path forward for resolution.

@jhneuerburg can you please write tesla about your experience at [email protected]?

I'm keep writing them and initially they were like "There is nothing can be done, just report and hope for the best" however I was keep nagging them and they asked me for more details, videos etc and promised to have a closer look.

I was thinking, maybe if we all bombard them with the emails maybe they will do something?

They asked:
```
From our side we have a deeper look also but will need the following information :
- The road where this is happening (exact road name, or GPS coordinate)
- Exact Timestamp when concern is happening
- Pictures when concern is happening showing the actual speed limit signa and what is showing on the touchscreen of the car.
```

I've sent them coordinates, photos of signs, video of dashcam. Haven't got a reply yet but maybe they'll look into it.

My lease is up in less then a year and I won't be looking for a new tesla if they won't fix this issue. And I very like them to fix it (alternative cars that has similar dynamic costs almost twice here but I'm willing to pay more for the ability to use drivers aid)

>2) My non-fsd car is on 2024.2. No updates available. So again, there is no official path forward for resolution.

Are you on earlier releases? Maybe it was pushed to Europe first, anyways I hope it'll be brought to USA - the new nag system is awesome, I actually was testing if they didn't push capacity steering wheel with the update :) It's that good, I would say 90% of level of what BMW/Mercedes offers on their cars. Before that I was using cheating device, maybe it can be an option while the update making it's way to USA

Last edited:
I didn't know about that email address and will email them today (and every other time I discover a new road)! So far I have collected images of 11 different roads in my area from the last two months that have incorrect speed limits. There are many more, these are just the ones I remembered to capture. Unfortunately, sometimes I wonder if starting a negative social media campaign on X, youtube, and tiktok with all my Tesla issues (wipers, speed limits, nags,...) would be more effective. I'm not taking that off the table yet...

Both mine and my wife's cars are running 2024.3.10. I found a solution with Evooor last week that has resolved my nag issue, although I really didn't want to go that route. Now, the nags are at least gone on all the roads that have correct speed limits and AP is useable 🤣

@jhneuerburg Ah sorry the email doesn't work:

> This mailbox is no longer being monitored.

I've contacted them via email but got that reply.

You need to contact them at https://www.tesla.com/support (bottom of the page) then they'll reply you from that email with the ticket number and it'll work.

>sometimes I wonder if starting a negative social media campaign on X, youtube, and tiktok with all my Tesla issues (wipers, speed limits, nags,...) would be more effective. I'm not taking that off the table yet...

Lol, yeah I think you're right, it may not be a coincedence that Doug Demuro done review of TM3 Highland that it's autopilot infireor because you need to jerk wheel all the time and suddenly within a week of a review there was a fix that made the nag almost flawless.

• Informative
Reactions: primedive
I've found that after a recent update, Autopilot has become useless on non-highway, two-lane roads.

With the update, Tesla learned how to read speed limits and enforces a maximum Autopilot speed of +10 km/h (6.2 miles per hour).

The problem is that it reads a 30 km/h (18.6 miles per hour) sign before a pedestrian crossing but doesn't recognize the sign that cancels it. Even when I leave the town and the limit is 90 km/h (55.9 miles per hour), Autopilot won't allow me to set the speed to more than 40 km/h (24.9 miles per hour). Previously, the speed limit was incorrect about 40% of the time, but it was somewhat acceptable as it helped reduce strain while it worked. Now, it's incorrect about 95% of the time.

This is a HUGE issue for me because I drive between the Czech Republic and Poland almost weekly, and there is no highway connecting the two countries for most of the way. The road is a 2.5-hour, two-lane twisty route. When I first drove a car with Lane Keep Assist (a 2020 Corolla), I arrived much less tired. However, with my Tesla, I'm back to fully manual driving, feeling like I'm in a 20-year-old car.

The situation looks like this:

View attachment 1023155

Road with a 90 km/h speed limit; drivers are going 100-110 km/h, but Autopilot won't allow speeds above 60 km/h (TACC enabled, not Autosteer).

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Do you know any tricks to solve it, or have you heard if Tesla is aware of the problem and plans to fix it?

I'm starting to consider bailing from my leased Tesla and getting a Toyota. The Toyota was able to handle about 70% of the road with its lane keep assist (it struggled with sharp turns), and the newer version should be even better.
Yeah same here.

One stretch of road i travel, when i take an exit lane, there is a rather sharp turn to exit the motorway and go onto a normal country road.

So...In the bend they set up a sign stating that the turn should be limited to 40 kph, its a square sign with an arrow indicating which direction the bend is and has a very thin red border.

My Tesla reads this as a speed sign and refuses to do more than 40 plus a but on AP, and since it is only a "Recommended speed" sign, there is no cancel sign so i have to travel a distance to the next 80 kph sign a mile further ahead with my foot on the accelerator

Guys let's message Tesla about this problem, maybe they'll react.

I've just driven 9 hours one way and 9 back. Trip there was awesome on a highway, I've arrived barely tired. 99.5% on AP, on my way back there were a traffic jam on a highway so car directed me on 2 lane road where it read in the beginning some 30km/hr traffic sign and apply it for the rest of road, so I had to drive for 3 hours myself and I've arrived extremely exhausted. I'm extremely closed to bailing from lease and get a car with fully functional aid systems...

Maybe if we message them, they'll do something...

Here is the instruction:

1) Go to https://www.tesla.com/support (bottom of the page), you'll have 500-character message limit. Write there something that Tesla speed sign reading is completely off making autopilot useless on a highway road, and that is NOT map issue.

2) They will reply to you and then you can send larger message, show location where it happened (use google map - share a point), video and/or photos.
Don't forget to mention that it's sign reading issue and not map data - that before the recent update there were no issues on those roads.

@hmadsen, can you please do that?

@jhneuerburg, not sure if it's your case, Tesla introduced speed sign read, which make a situation with a wrong speed from map data significantly worse, not sure what's you're referring to is just a wrong map data.
For us, Europeans, it's like tesla has 70% correct speed data, now with incorrect speed sign applications it's down to 0..10% of correct speed limits and it was introduced in the recent update.

Guys let's message Tesla about this problem, maybe they'll react.

I've just driven 9 hours one way and 9 back. Trip there was awesome on a highway, I've arrived barely tired. 99.5% on AP, on my way back there were a traffic jam on a highway so car directed me on 2 lane road where it read in the beginning some 30km/hr traffic sign and apply it for the rest of road, so I had to drive for 3 hours myself and I've arrived extremely exhausted. I'm extremely closed to bailing from lease and get a car with fully functional aid systems...

Maybe if we message them, they'll do something...

Here is the instruction:

1) Go to https://www.tesla.com/support (bottom of the page), you'll have 500-character message limit. Write there something that Tesla speed sign reading is completely off making autopilot useless on a highway road, and that is NOT map issue.

2) They will reply to you and then you can send larger message, show location where it happened (use google map - share a point), video and/or photos.
Don't forget to mention that it's sign reading issue and not map data - that before the recent update there were no issues on those roads.

@hmadsen, can you please do that?

@jhneuerburg, not sure if it's your case, Tesla introduced speed sign read, which make a situation with a wrong speed from map data significantly worse, not sure what's you're referring to is just a wrong map data.
For us, Europeans, it's like tesla has 70% correct speed data, now with incorrect speed sign applications it's down to 0..10% of correct speed limits and it was introduced in the recent update.
I can but i am not able to tell them it was only after a certain update it stopped working here, because in Denmark it has never worked in the 1 year i owned the car.

As soon as i pass the border to Germany it starts reading the signs on the German autobahn

it also works when i am not on the motorway in Denmark, just yesterday i passed some place where they narrowed the road and they had some "islands" on each side with 40 signs, the car clearly saw and displayed both of then...One on each side of the car.

Last edited:
I think my issue is map data and sign reading. Yesterday I had a speed limit issue on a US four lane highway with signs, car displayed 45mph speed limit while the sign displayed 65mph. Many of the county roads do not have signs but are 55mph unless marked otherwise.

I cannot find a way to submit issues through the US version of the site. Following your link, then logging in, they give me only pre-canned questions and answers..
1712684049273.png