Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Provision of Insurance Information to Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SageBrush

REJECT Fascism
May 7, 2015
New Mexico
I live in Colorado.
I have ordered my car and am waiting for a VIN.

Tesla is asking for insurance information but I cannot obtain a quote without a VIN.
Does Tesla care that my insurance information is incomplete, or should I just send them the insurance company facesheet that does not yet include the Tesla ?

I'm trying to avoid calling Tesla. I know their plates are full.

Scan an insurance card for one of your existing vehicles and upload that. For the information needed weeks ahead of delivery, you don’t need to provide insurance for the Tesla itself, just prove that you have an existing insurance policy.

It varies between states, but in many states, you don’t need insurance on a new vehicle to drive it off the lot. Existing insurance policies automatically cover new vehicle purchases. You have a few days to actually bind a policy on a new vehicle purchase. If this is possible and the length of that window varies by state and the insurance policies written within that state. Your insurance agent can clear up the details for you in Colorado.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: SageBrush and ChadS