Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stuck between VIN number and Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a 2019 Model 3 owner (oh boy those were good times!)

Buying process in 2024 (model Y) is giving me ulcers....

1. [Me] I go online to add a new VIN on my Insurance provider (Metromile)
2. [Insurance] cannot find/add new VINs, it needs to be added manually and takes up to 5-10 business days!
4. [Insurance] fine with coverage upto 30 days for a new car, even if VIN not added
5. [Me] calls Tesla: hey my insurance is OKAY without VIN upto 30 days. You good?
6. [Tesla] Nope "business policies" we cannot give you car without VIN uploaded our nice little Tesla app.

What I dont understand is that I have paid Tesla cash and bought the car. Legally, my auto insurance says they are going to cover me. Why in the world TESLA wants a VIN on record is beyond me!

Anyone had this situation and what did you do?

PS: in 2019, they even accepted personal check and handed me the car w/o all these B.S on the app!
PPS: I'm first hand seeing Tesla Dictionary.com | Meanings & Definitions of English Words process [Me] goes to Schwab and sells TSLAs

Reactions: Skavatar
I guess Tesla already experienced the "Fool me once...Shame on you..."

FAYETTEVILLE, Ga. - Police in Fayetteville say a man who stole a Tesla from a dealership last December
returned in January to try it again. Unfortunately for him, it didn't go so well the second time.
Police say 24-year-old Fouad Kemal of Silver Springs, Maryland, used the Tesla app to order a new car
for pickup at the Fayetteville dealership last December.
Police say he took delivery, but used fake information to swindle the company out of the $112,000 car.

Upvote 0
I'm a 2019 Model 3 owner (oh boy those were good times!)

Buying process in 2024 (model Y) is giving me ulcers....

1. [Me] I go online to add a new VIN on my Insurance provider (Metromile)
2. [Insurance] cannot find/add new VINs, it needs to be added manually and takes up to 5-10 business days!
4. [Insurance] fine with coverage upto 30 days for a new car, even if VIN not added
5. [Me] calls Tesla: hey my insurance is OKAY without VIN upto 30 days. You good?
6. [Tesla] Nope "business policies" we cannot give you car without VIN uploaded our nice little Tesla app.

What I dont understand is that I have paid Tesla cash and bought the car. Legally, my auto insurance says they are going to cover me. Why in the world TESLA wants a VIN on record is beyond me!

Anyone had this situation and what did you do?

PS: in 2019, they even accepted personal check and handed me the car w/o all these B.S on the app!
PPS: I'm first hand seeing Tesla Dictionary.com | Meanings & Definitions of English Words process [Me] goes to Schwab and sells TSLAs
They're looking for a copy of the insurance on your current car, not the car you haven't received yet. I realize that seems counterintuitive, but nonetheless it's true.

Upvote 0
This makes no sense...

Most insurance policies automatically cover you for several (10?) days following the purchase of a new vehicle on your existing policy to allow you time to report the purchase (and perhaps trade-in/sale of an already insured vehicle) and bind coverage on the new vehicle).

Tesla's app is only seeking proof of current insurance policy on your current vehicle(s). When I purchased my MYLR on 12/30/23, I uploaded proof of insurance on the Tesla app for my prior vehicle and no problem. For that matter, I didn't get around to notifying my insurance company until like 1/3/24 due to the holiday...

Perhaps Tesla treats it differently if you're leasing/financing through them (I didn't)?

Reactions: ucmndd
Upvote 0
I think it depends on the State. According to Tesla, Texas is requiring a copy of proof of insurance for the specific Tesla which you are buying. With Liberty Mutual, as with other Insurance companies I've dealt with, they can add the vehicle to the policy immediately and produce a proof of insurance within minutes. Not sure why the OP's Insurance company can't do the same.

Upvote 0
I think it depends on the State. According to Tesla, Texas is requiring a copy of proof of insurance for the specific Tesla which you are buying. With Liberty Mutual, as with other Insurance companies I've dealt with, they can add the vehicle to the policy immediately and produce a proof of insurance within minutes. Not sure why the OP's Insurance company can't do the same.
Yep, Texas requires proof of insurance to get the temp plates. Tesla need 60 days insurance because the process takes so long they need to get two 30 day "plates", otherwise you will have to go back in to show insurance again to get the next temp plate.
The same as you, I call my insurance, instantly updated the car and the new proof of insurance at the same time.

Upvote 0
Georgia is the same way.

I found that if I call my insurance vs. using their website, I can have them delay the start of coverage until delivery day so I'm not paying for coverage on a vehicle I don't own yet.

Upvote 0