Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA about why you should NOT use auto lift trunk struts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The three pictures say it all. After five months, one of the struts came apart when I opened the trunk, went sideways under force and cracked my rear glass in my M3. The 2nd struct when I pulled it out, has a crack running through the plastic head but had not broken yet.. it was on it's way though. The vendor, s3xymodels, won't reply to my email. I know they buy the struts from the same place that everyone else does but not responding sucks.

These the the typical "auto lift" struts which the helper springs to pop the trunk up a few inches when you open it. I see them for sale everywhere. I will not be using them again.. I would strongly advise you if you have them, to take them off and look at the plastic caps very closely or just to chuck them and not take the risk. That back glass is going to be expensive :/. I'm going to try a windshield repair kit to "patch" it for now and see if I can't kick the can down the road a few months. since it will be an out of pocket expense.

IMG_4658.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4661.jpeg
    IMG_4661.jpeg
    260.3 KB · Views: 1,264
  • IMG_4660.jpeg
    IMG_4660.jpeg
    272.5 KB · Views: 1,356
  • IMG_4659.jpeg
    IMG_4659.jpeg
    231.6 KB · Views: 1,346
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow... shudder... I searched because my rear M3 struts are getting a little weak and I bopped my head on it today at the supermarket. Did some searching, and saw the red spring struts for not a lot of money and wondered how well they worked.

Well, I'll be ordering genuine struts from Tesla. Thanks very much for the PSA.