Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA: shop around for the best insurance rates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had Geico for ages, bought into their low cost claim over the years and didn't really shop around. Before getting my 3 I added the car to my GEICO app, and to my shock it quoted just over a thousand for 6 months, which is basically double what I was paying on my VW GTI. I started requesting quotes from all the reputable sources (Farmers, State Farm, Progressive, etc.) and ended up saving 50% (or back down to what I was paying for the GTI) with Progressive. I did some research online and some blogger said it pays to shop around for car insurance once a year to get the best rates, and insurance companies know when you’re shopping around so they will try to be more competitive. Consumer like me who didn’t bother to shop around would just get higher premiums over time even though I had zero accidents and claims in the past decade.

Definitely shop around, I didn't hesitate to drop my insurance (Allstate) when their quote was much higher than Liberty Mutual. No need for insurance loyalty, as they don't really appreciate you anyway. You're just a # to them.

Definitely shop around, I didn't hesitate to drop my insurance (Allstate) when their quote was much higher than Liberty Mutual. No need for insurance loyalty, as they don't really appreciate you anyway. You're just a # to them.

interesting, I’ve been w/liberty forever, took delivery of 3 in AUG,
their annual quote was within reason, policy renews every NOV
and I got hit with 40% bump! will most likely shop & change if
they don’t play ball!

Seems like model 3 rates are really high in california. I am taking delivery soon and shopping around is a shock!

CA driver here. Progressive gave me good rates, just wanted to make sure you checked them out for Tesla if you haven’t. I know it varies per person but I pay only $300 more on Progressive for a 2016 model x and 2018 model 3 than i did on Allstate with a 2002 Camry and 2008 Accord... and I have higher coverages on the Tesla’s.

I had the same issue with Geico and shopped around. Then I called Geico and asked if they could give me a better rate. They said they could try a different 'formula' to calculate our rates, and came back at $700 less for the 6 months than we were currently paying. I still might switch because another insurance company is $1000 less for the 6 months, but while I research, at least Geico is down considerably from what they automatically priced us at when I added the car. Maybe a consideration if you really don't want to switch.

I did call GEICO back and they gave me a slightly better quote, but it was still over 400 bucks more per 6 months so I'm staying with Progressive for now. Coverage also seems a little better on the liability side, plus I get $0 deductible on windshield replacement coverage at a very low price whereas GEICO would charge a lot more for $0 deductible.

I've been wanting to shop around for insurance so i finally did after reading the original post. So glad I did... I just spoke with Progressive and the six month quote for my 3 cars is almost half of what i am paying GEICO. Also Progressive has me at $500 deductible where GEICO had me at a $1000 deductible with all other items being identical. I might check with a couple of other providers while I'm at it...

I had the same issue with Geico and shopped around. Then I called Geico and asked if they could give me a better rate. They said they could try a different 'formula' to calculate our rates, and came back at $700 less for the 6 months than we were currently paying.
That seems odd. You certain they quoted you the exact same coverage level? Thought insurance was a highly regulated industry, and offering a customer a different price based on a different "formula" seems dubious at best.

MarkBrokeIt
That's the way the lady on the phone explained it to me. When I go look at the policy now, the only difference I see is our deductibles have a $1 extra, like $1001 and $501. I did remove a vehicle that was $50 extra every 6 months, but that shouldn't cause that much difference. She said that formula usually costed people more money, so they didn't run it typically. I wonder if it switched us to a different sub insurance company, because some of that info looks a little different.

• Informative
Reactions: MarkBrokeIt
I wonder if it switched us to a different sub insurance company, because some of that info looks a little different.
In my limited experience, and it probably differs in every state, if they are just a broker and not the company actually providing the coverage, they have to disclose that. Because if they were just a broker & you needed to make a claim, that would go directly to that other insurance company.

I've also never heard of anyone having an odd deductible like that. Sounds like you got a creative agent, and it was awesome for you. Hope your advice will help others, thanks for sharing!