Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA: Trunk closing bumper damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@LionXng Did they adjust your trunk lid at all? If they did, how did they do it?

Yes, they said they did. I didn't watch so I couldn't say how they did it sorry. But afterwards no more rubbing and my gaps looked a tiny bit better

edit: The invoice($0) said, "Found that the rear bumper was not clipped in the whole way. Clipped in bumper and adjusted the trunk striker to stop the trunk lid from rubbing. Buffed the rear bumper and the trunk lid on the contact spots."

• Helpful
Reactions: Apone
Stopped by the service center and they're referring me to their preferred body shop.

They couldn't identify what was causing it. Suggested the rear bumper was shifting when the car was in motion causing it to rub. They wanted the body shop to provide some insight. Their tech claimed he had a BMW do the same thing.

Good news is they're going to fix it.
Bad news it needs fixed and requires body work.

I have a Cadillac that did the same thing, FWIW.

Tim

The fact that this thread exists is unreal. My 3 week old m3 is currently at the body shop for a hood paint defect and the numerous rock chips on the rocker panel. And a third scratch on the door. Now I have one more thing to worry about. Just crazy.

I have it, but only see it when i open the trunk, and it's small. I just laid a strip of clear xpel and stopped worrying about it. I'm much more concerned about door dings and such, and the cruddy orange peel/bad pearl paint job, but it looks nice enough when waxed.

Yes, they said they did. I didn't watch so I couldn't say how they did it sorry. But afterwards no more rubbing and my gaps looked a tiny bit better

edit: The invoice($0) said, "Found that the rear bumper was not clipped in the whole way. Clipped in bumper and adjusted the trunk striker to stop the trunk lid from rubbing. Buffed the rear bumper and the trunk lid on the contact spots."
Same thing happened to my Dec ‘19 build. Didn’t have Tesla fix it though; just clipped the bumper myself. The contact spot isn’t that bad and not even noticeable when the trunk is closed.