Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Put a Deposit on P100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s a weird policy they have. I mean they got your deposit. You are approved for a loan (if going that route)
They let you test drive a vehicle without any of that prior to placing deposit but refuse to let you test drive the car you want to buy. Strange.

I did test drive the car before putting the deposit, but this was a different car. One I ordered I have never seen... This is illogical...

The reason they gave me for not allowing a check drive was "in case something happened, they had no recourse". Which is a lie, since it's covered under my insurance which they already had. My guess is they know 99.9% will agree and sign without driving since in theory a new car will have nothing wrong with it. Which is not at all true, see e.g. "Lehto's Law" youtube channel for great videos on lemon law/consumer protection issues. If I remember right, unscrupulous dealers can take a car which has been severely damaged in transport or test drives, repair it, and since it's never been titled it won't show up as in an accident on a carfax. I took about 30+ minutes carefully going over every square inch of exposed body panel.

Also, good point on the whole panel vs fix a small scratch.

One thing - "apparently never been titled" I thought I heard somewhere after 1k miles they can't title it as new. Are you positive it's new inventory? If used might be worth a carfax check. PM me if you want a carfax code, I got a couple left I probably won't need.

Also, good point on the whole panel vs fix a small scratch.

One thing - "apparently never been titled" I thought I heard somewhere after 1k miles they can't title it as new. Are you positive it's new inventory? If used might be worth a carfax check. PM me if you want a carfax code, I got a couple left I probably won't need.
In NJ you don't have to title it after 1k miles as long as it's in dealer possession. Happens quite often. I was assured that the warranty starts on the day of delivery. Thank you for your offer, I appreciate it.

One more thing, there is a difference between the amount I want to put down and the amount of the loan. Originally, I wanted to simply transfer that amount from my account to theirs. Now I'm thinking I will take the cashier's check. I better have it in my pocket then on their account.

Well, you were right on both counts, they won't let me drive it and I fell in love with the car. I could drive any car on their lot, but not mine...
I was walking towards my car after asking them do return my deposit, when was intercepted by the delivery manager, literally 10 feet away from it... He spent next hour or so with me going through every detail on the car, and letting me inspect it as long as I wanted, but not driving... The car is perfect cosmetically. This reminds me the old Jewish joke about groom/bride dancing at the orthodox wedding, lol. Needless to say, I surrendered. Will pick her up tomorrow. "Dog mode" nailed the deal -:)

PS Oh, and it still has the Ludicrous Mode on it, but something tells me it'll be removed

This is an awesome machine! Will take me a bit to figure out the technology, but I love it already! Actually, I was told that Ludicrous and Ludicrous+ will stay in the car- I paid for them.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20190328_113039.jpg
    MVIMG_20190328_113039.jpg
    614.8 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_20190328_113139.jpg
    IMG_20190328_113139.jpg
    670.5 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Don TLR and AMPd