Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BLUF: An overall impressive car that has the potential to be even better, but Tesla needs to continue improving build quality/attention to detail, add features expected at this price point, and prioritize utility/intuitive controls over aesthetics and “cool” factor.

Reading through some of the owner threads here has been tremendously helpful to me, so I’m launching this thread on my experience with my first Tesla in hopes that it might be helpful to some of you.

BACKGROUND: First time Tesla owner. I have owned Audis exclusively since 2002, and prior to that was in a B5 VW Passat from 1998 when I punched out of college and bought my first “new” car. For my money, NO ONE does the combination of interior/exterior design and performance better than Audi. Subjective of course, but that’s my standard. I am coming from an Oolong Grey C7 (2013) S6. The S6 was still in fantastic shape, and was modified (Stage 2) with APR software, APR downpipes, and a Milltek non-resonated exhaust. On my daily driving tune (93 octane) APR claims 586hp/694ft-lbs. Power delivery from the twin-turbo 4.0l V8 was impressive and the car sounded incredible, but after 10 years and a professional lifetime of shooting loud things or being shot at by loud things, the ever present rumble of that V8/exhaust combo was becoming tiring for a daily driver. In 2019 when we replaced the wife’s Q7 with an e-Tron, I further started to appreciate the peaceful cabin of an electric vehicle and the convenience of charging at home. We already had a Chargepoint 40A charger installed for the e-Tron in our main 2-car garage, plus an additional 240v run with a Nema 14-50 outlet in our other 2-car bay, so the infrastructure was there for a second electric vehicle.

I cross shopped the MSP with the Audi RS6 Avant and the Audi RS7. The RS6 has been a dream car of mine for decades and was my first choice for a replacement for the S6 now that Audi has finally brought it in its pure Avant form to the U.S. Unfortunately, the limited numbers earmarked for the U.S. market and COVID’s impact on the car market meant that used prices often exceeded new, and I simply could not find my combination of color (Nardo/black) and options with low miles for a decent price. No matter how much I looked, used MSPs with lower miles consistently came back at a lower price compared to the RS6 or RS7. Add the savings from gas (I averaged a tank per week in the S6 and did not see that changing with the RS6) and overall maintenance costs and the MSP ultimately won out.

CONFIGURATION: I wanted MSM or White with black interior. I did not care either way if the car came with 19s or 21s. I have always purchased a set of summer wheels for every car I’ve owned and I knew I would do the same here. A car with FSD or the enhanced Auto Pilot would have been sweet, but would not have been a deal breaker either way. I like to drive and the likelihood of me using FSD was pretty slim – slim enough to not be worth a $15k expenditure. Enhanced Auto Pilot would have been nice, but not $6k nice; I hardly used the Driver Assistance (Audi’s version of Auto Pilot) in the 10 years I had the S6. I knew the Yoke would be an issue and planned to purchase a round wheel from day 1. The announcement that Tesla had relented and finally decided to offer one stayed my hand, but in hindsight I wish I’d gone with one of the aftermarket carbon/leather wheels.

COST: c/a January I paid $113k for a used August 2022 built MSM/black with 21” wheels and no enhanced Auto Pilot or FSD from a Land Rover dealership out of state. The car had 1500 miles on the odometer; practically new. Seemingly a few weeks later I could have bought a new White MSP similarly configured for the same price. Them’s the breaks. I couldn’t find a RS6 with that low miles for that price anywhere and I only purchase used German cars if they have a CPO warranty. Our e-Tron Prestige stickered at $90k. We bargained down to $65k (loyalty discount, USAA and Costco car program incentives, etc). Audi couldn’t give them away in 2019 and even gave us 0% financing plus the full $7500 tax credit, which it qualified for at the time. I thought that was a smoking deal. This, not so much, but all things considered, in line with pricing at the time. As an example, a local Ford dealership had a 2021 - White Plaid similarly configured with about 9k miles and refused to budge from $117k. That car had some pretty egregious fit/finish issues and I ultimately passed. Wife found this car the same night I told Ford we were out and was about to give up on the Tesla all together and redouble my Audi efforts.

Here she is on delivery night.

IMG_0257.jpeg

IMG_0259.jpeg

ISSUES: Build quality is not terrible, but there’s definitely room for improvement:

1. Random rubber fitment issues across the entire car, from around the frunk seams, to inside door trim. Some stuff is pushed in, others out, some bulging, some easily popping out, etc. Simple stuff that Tesla needs to figure out at this price point. Panel gap issues here and there but nothing that I would consider a deal killer.

2. A most annoying rattle from the right rear passenger seat. Big thread on this in the forums and I’ll attempt some of those fixes one of these days. Mentioned it to a Tesla Mobile Tech visiting for a separate issue and he claims Tesla’s answer to that issue is tape. Ridiculous.

3. Buffeting sound with windows closed. New experience for me. Happens at low speed and likely a resonance issue that I’ll just have to live with, but when it happens I almost automatically look to see if I have the sunroof or a window open. Of course, there’s no sunroof…

4. Half-shaft vibration. With 1500 miles on the odo at delivery, already present. Installed lowering links to address, but that’s screwing with my mitigation efforts to combat inner rear tire wear. Asked Tesla service to address it and specifically asked them to inspect half-shafts and instead, they “checked the balance on my wheels/tires.” Mine occurs between 35-55mph and seems to go away once the car warms up. Forum discussion says that may be normal so will monitor. Ultimately removed the lowering links to get my alignment within N2itive’s specs. Local tuner felt strongly that with my aftermarket wheel fitment the links would result in rubbing - I’m not so sure, but didn’t want to argue the point. May reinstall them because otherwise they are just sitting here in a box.

5. Clunking noises from suspension. Not sure what’s causing them. Happens mainly on rough surfaces, but my S6 on the same road wasn’t making those noises. Almost sounds like bushings or some other unhappy suspension component. Happened pre and post-lowering links/rear camber arms.

6. A peculiar shudder/skipping of wheels when making a low speed full-lock turn. Example, backing out of a parking space, tight turn to exit the space results in what feels like an impact to the front suspension or the wheel seemingly skipping. Forum discussion says this is normal and due to width of wheels/tires. I’ve had wide wheels/tires on cars before and never experienced this. Learned to mitigate it by backing off the turn slightly, but my heart jumps into my fricking mouth every time it happens.

7. Noise cancelling. If it’s installed, doesn’t work worth a damn. With the radio off inner cabin noise is loud enough that I notice it. On a phone call without the radio on it seems even louder. My wife’s e-Tron makes a unique sound when in drive. Wish the Tesla did the same as it would at least mask some of the exterior noise. Our e-Tron is a bank vault of solitude compared to my MSP.

8. Seats. Very comfortable, but I wish I could get it lower to the ground and get the back even more vertical. Not a deal killer but something I notice every time I drive the car.

9. Music interface. I mainly listen to Sirius and BT Pandora and Apple Music. Native Apple Music app has been a cluster for me. Went a whole 30-minute drive with it swirling and not connecting once. Skips songs randomly when it does work. Only way I’ve found to reliably stop the swirling is to sign out of Apple Music and re-pair the account. I’m new to Spotify and need to investigate further, but notice some of the same connectivity issues. Sirius spaces out randomly – almost like a connectivity issue. Did not have that issue with my S6. I have all but abandoned the Apple Music app and BT my audio when not listening to Sirius, but that’s a compromise and includes my BT music playing at a lower volume overall than the native apps do. Tried various settings with no difference. A Pandora app would be great, but Apple Car Play would be even better.

Pics from dealer that ultimately sold me on buying this thing without seeing or driving it in person…

IMG_0373.jpeg

IMG_0372.jpeg

Congrats and looks siq! MSM with black interior was my close 2nd choice.

I'm only 11 days into ownership picked up new, but here's my take coming from 911/M cars which my MSP is replacing which is also my first e-car.

1. I didn't see anything obvious/glaring on mine (6/23 build)

2. No rattles yet, but honestly, stuff like this I personally weigh between dealing with it v. having some random tech mess with my new car that may introduce other/worst issues.

3. Zero weird wind related noises at speed for now

4. I seem to have a light pedal vibration between 30-35mph when car is cold and goes away warmed up. So long as it doesn't get worse, I can totally live with it (see point #2)

5. Nothing yet

6. It seems to skip a little in parking lot tighter turns, but I never ever go full lock on any of my cars. It's just a personal mechanical sympathy thing to put less stress on steering components whether with my lifted truck on 37s or the Plaid mobile. Doesn't bother me (see point #2).

7. My MSP is quieter than anything I've ever owned so a non-factor (I think mine's still calibrating last I checked).

8. Love the seats, but I've never been a stickler for comfort as I fit well in all cars I've owned (bantamweight). The vinyl feels really good aka vegan leather lmao.

9. I just bump music or listen to podcasts off my iPhone (Youtube Premium) so all g for my needs.

My biggest "worry" is the paint. I was forewarned by another auto enthusiast buddy that the paint chips quite easily and he's right w/ the brunt of it occurring on the back side of the rear door to the quarter panel ahead of the rear wheel which makes complete sense given the added width + super sticky OEM PS4S tires. I've limited my MSP usage to short trips on local roads until my PPF/Clearplex appt.

The only mod I'll do is the Track Pack brakes. I'm all about aftermarket wheels from HRE/Fikse/Forgeline, but I just love the 21" Arachnids, aero optimized. I will budget in new rear tires every 7-10K miles.

Day's end, time will tell whether I stick with the Plaid or jump to another EV car. So far, I'm ecstatic about the world class power, clean/modern aesthetic and less reliance on gas. I don't really see myself going back to an ice/hybrid daily from M/RS/AMG ever again. MSP has such a unique point of view in the automotive landscape today. Far from perfect, way too many parts from China for my liking, but hey, YOLO.

Enjoy and gl!

Last edited:
The S3XY lineup has the top 4 spot in the most American made cars. What do you mean about too many parts from China?
Define American made in auto land like Swiss made in watches. Lots of gray.

If you check out the major suspension components (e.g. forged aluminum arms and links), they’re all sourced from China dude. Even the bespoke to Plaid rear motors cradle. Im sure there are more key bits I haven’t begun to dig into.

Last edited:
Reactions: mm9351
Grats and welcome to the team, i got the exact same S plaid with yours except the 21", i intentionally went with 19" knowing that i will be driving it in the winter and 19 is probably the most comfortable ride sacrificing the look. As for summer i wanted a set of 20", since track package comes with the 20", thats the ideal set up for me, was considering it and sold out within a day in Canada... So far the car drives like a dream, no rattle, weird noises etc, been a year and still love driving it everyday.

Buying a used car is a crap shoot, especially a Tesla. So you started in the hole to begin with. Don’t care how few miles or how much you paid or who you got it from. Maybe was a lemon.

21” cause troubles.

I have a March 22 I bought new with 19”.

Noise cancelation works fine. Once you understand how it works.

I’ve had 3 MSM since 2018 and paint has held up fine.

I don’t use Apple music but Slacker works fine.

No rattles 14k miles 1.5 years old.

I never lock the wheel on any car, just habit from some power steering systems hate when you do that.

Define American made in auto land like Swiss made in watches. Lots of gray.

If you check out the major suspension components (e.g. forged aluminum arms and links), they’re all sourced from China dude. Even the bespoke to Plaid rear motors cradle. Im sure there are more key bits I haven’t begun to dig into.

I see your point. It’s misguided though. Being a most-American made doesn’t mean every part is manufactured here. But it does mean more parts are American than cars further down the list. So if your goal is to have as few foreign parts as possible, Teslas are your only top 4 choices in 2023. The complaint is empty when there is no better production option.

Reactions: bonkers and AMPd
I see your point. It’s misguided though. Being a most-American made doesn’t mean every part is manufactured here. But it does mean more parts are American than cars further down the list. So if your goal is to have as few foreign parts as possible, Teslas are your only top 4 choices in 2023. The complaint is empty when there is no better production option.
My point isn't misguided at all. I never said American made means 100% manufactured here, thus unequivocally gray like a Swiss Made watch. I knew full well going in that Tesla depends heavily on Chinese suppliers from even most elemental level such as the very lithium that powers its entire lineup of vehicles.

*Personally speaking, I would've preferred* that the major forged aluminum suspension components would've been sourced out of USA/Germany/Japan, but I realize decisions like this aren't made in a vacuum given Tesla's growing footprint and the geo-political complexities a multi-national corporation must inevitably navigate 24/7/365.

My point isn't misguided at all. I never said American made means 100% manufactured here, thus unequivocally gray like a Swiss Made watch. I knew full well going in that Tesla depends heavily on Chinese suppliers from even most elemental level such as the very lithium that powers its entire lineup of vehicles.

*Personally speaking, I would've preferred* that the major forged aluminum suspension components would've been sourced out of USA/Germany/Japan, but I realize decisions like this aren't made in a vacuum given Tesla's growing footprint and the geo-political complexities a multi-national corporation must inevitably navigate 24/7/365.

This should be a different thread, and I'm not trying to be antagonistic. I just want to understand what has led you to believe what experts who analyze this stuff, the entire Internet, and Tesla all seem to negate.

Other than the base RWD trim of the M3 (LFP packs), the battery cells and packs for all US-made Teslas are manufactured and assembled in Nevada and Texas.

Are you just talking about mineral sourcing? Most of the world's lithium comes from Australia and Chile. China does most refining though, thus the new Corpus Christi refinery Tesla is building. Most of their nickel comes from Brazil.

The front and rear castings of the Model Y out of TX are made on site with the Gigapress machines, and the rear of the Y as well in Fremont.

The graphics/MCU is an AMD chip. The driving computer is produced by TSMC (Taiwan), and I think v4 is Samsung (Korea).

The panels are obviously stamped in the factories.

Tesla makes their US vehicle seats in house.

This all seems like a significant portion of the vehicle so far. What am I missing?

What parts are you talking about? Can you give some examples of "heavy" dependance on China for US made Teslas?

Last edited:
Reactions: bonkers and MB90266
This should be a different thread, and I'm not trying to be antagonistic. I just want to understand what has led you to believe what experts who analyze this stuff, the entire Internet, and Tesla all seem to negate.

Other than the base RWD trim of the M3 (LFP packs), the battery cells and packs for all US-made Teslas are manufactured and assembled in Nevada and Texas.

Are you just talking about mineral sourcing? Most of the world's lithium comes from Australia and Chile. China does most refining though, thus the new Corpus Christi refinery Tesla is building. Most of their nickel comes from Brazil.

The front and rear castings of the Model Y out of TX are made on site with the Gigapress machines, and the rear of the Y as well in Fremont.

The graphics/MCU is an AMD chip. The driving computer is produced by TSMC (Taiwan), and I think v4 is Samsung (Korea).

The panels are obviously stamped in the factories.

Tesla makes their US vehicle seats in house.

This all seems like a significant portion of the vehicle so far. What am I missing?

What parts are you talking about? Can you give some examples of "heavy" dependance on China for US made Teslas?
No antagonism from my end either since you brought it up. It's just harmless internet banter w/ strangers in the 1st world.

My point is it's gray, but what's clear is Teslas, and many others in the auto landscape let alone the entire free world, are heavily dependent on Chinese suppliers/laborers.

Sourcing, manufacturing and assembly are very different and necessary steps in the process to have us enjoy our Teslas sitting pretty in our respective garages. It's not black and white is my point. Supplier info are closely guarded secrets and quite complex. But what's clear as day is the major suspension components and carriers (aluminum) in the MSP come from China as are the some bits of exterior glass.

And pls don't put words in my mouth. I'm not negating anything anyone allegedly said and I have no idea what experts you're even referring to here.

Apologies to the op for littering the thread. Happy to continue to the discussion if someone is that keen on starting/piggybacking one.

Reactions: bonkers
1. Car looks fantastic. I think in its current guise, it will age well. That bodes well as I typically keep my daily for about 7 or so years. I’ve had supercars slow down to look at this thing (and likely attempting to avoid embarrassment). Low-slung, wide, and aggressive and the black trim and headliner and carbon fiber trim are exactly my spec.

2. Performance is astounding. Point and shoot. Think about going there and I’m there. My S6 was quick, but nowhere near this thing, and of course no turbo or inherent ICE lag.

3. Suspension is very nice for me in comfort mode, if super floaty. Subjectively more so than the air suspension on my S6. Have not put much miles on the firmer settings. Cornering performance is good enough. Highly unlikely I track the car, but we’ll see. Love how much control they give you over the suspension settings. Feels a little twitchy at high speeds, almost like wind is unsettling the car. Something to keep an eye on.

4. OTA updates. Neat and I like that they are continually addressing software issues and adding new features. To update the maps on my S6 required a visit to the dealer and probably a couple hundred bucks and the optional wifi connectivity required a T-Mobile sim and subscription. I have the included premium subscription or whatever it’s called through August and intend to keep it once the trial period is over.

5. Ability to stream music independent of my phone - *WHEN IT WORKS*

6. Storage. Plentiful. Glove box could be a little deeper, but no major complaints on interior storage.

IMG_0720.jpeg

MODS:

1. Xpel Stealth. Had sworn off doing full Xpel again after having the wife’s e-Tron similarly wrapped, but after reading a stupid amount of reviews knocking Tesla’s paint quality I ultimately decided it was worth it for a car that I’ll likely keep for at least 75k miles. My S6 had 98k on the odometer when I sold it. I had also just invested in my garage car wash setup (Active 2.0 power washer with MJCC foam cannon and various upgrades) and no longer had any excuses to not hand wash our cars.

2. Calipers painted dark/deep blue.

3. 20x10 + 285/35/20 wheel/tire setup featuring Signature Wheels SV104s in gloss black. I wanted forged wheels (first time – all previous wheels were cast or “flow-formed”) and while I hesitated based on the sheer popularity of the SV104s on this forum, the overall look worked and the price was very competitive compared to say HRE or other forged wheels. I considered Vossen (we have a set in 21” on the wife’s e-Tron), but forged for a little more won the day. Tires are non-foam lined Pilot 4S and I picked up a QuickJack and the pucks for rotations and jack lifting.

4. The Original Carbon Guard mud flaps. Look good, though I question how much coverage I’m really getting given their slim profile.

5. N2itive lowering links and rear camber arms. I hate doing suspension work and did not want to lower the car. Installed purely to address the half-shaft vibration issue and mitigate premature inner rear tire wear. Links are installed in the pics below but I ended up removing them for the previously mentioned alignment reasons and will likely have to fight Tesla to warranty repair my half-shafts if that becomes necessary at some point. With the links installed the car just felt too low for me and that was at the minimum lowering level recommended by N2itive. Took a road trip with the wife for a soccer camp and felt like I was raising the suspension every time we pulled into or out of a shopping center or the hotel parking lot. My days of dodging every anomaly on the road are over - too tiring and stressful for this old man. Main issue though is that because of my wheel setup and the lowered stance, the local shop that did the install set my rear camber at -1.8. That’s not enough to ward off the inner tire wear issue. I drive an average of 20k miles per year and I do not feel like dropping $2k per year on rear tires. The only reason I bought the rear camber arms was to address the rear tire wear issue, so getting the alignment right took priority.

IMG_0495.jpeg

IMG_0492.jpeg

MODS: Exterior/Interior Trim

1. TSportline carbon fiber mirror caps. Took forever for them to ship and by the time they finally got to me I’d already had PPF installed. Required removing PPF on the mirrors and getting it redone post-install. My S6 was Oolong Grey and I installed a carbon fiber spoiler and mirror caps and liked the looked. Replicating same here, though the CF was glossy on the S6, which I think I prefer over the matte.

IMG_0870.jpeg

2. Spigen glass screen protector for main and rear display. Would probably not do this again as I’m not sure it’s needed from a protection standpoint. My hope is it helps with fingerprints.

3. Phone mount. Might not be an issue long-term, but I just don’t like the prospect of my phone constantly charging if placed in the center console. Because there’s no Apple Car Play and I rely on Waze for speed traps/speed camera detection (radar detectors are illegal in VA), I need the phone readily viewable. This works for now but may need to come up with a better solution long-term.

IMG_1006.jpeg

4. Radar Detector. Purchased a Valentine 1 Gen 2 and a dedicated Pixel phone to run it with JBV1. Next step is to get power hardwired and come up with a concealment device to hide the detector. Will likely install an AL Priority setup at some point, but needed something we could pop into our other cars as we rotate frequently for what has been a bunch of road trips taking the kiddo to college ID camps.