Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Putting the whole S package into another vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm new to this site, but it seems to me a lot of conversion problems would be simplified if one took an entire S chassis (except the front suspension) and bolted it into another vehicle, such as a truck that has a ladder frame: this way the entire rear end, battery and all that comes with that would be done in one go! What remains, in my very simple way of looking at it, is the rest of the electronics and controls. If one had a whole car, could one not take all the bits that are connected off and place them where they belong, in the new vehicle, even repurposing existing wiring, harnesses, connectors, etc..? I've looked high and low for posts that have taken this approach, and so far haven't found a single one.
I'm also interested in knowing about how to best find and buy a wreck, so one gets as much as possible in good working condition. A front-end wreck seems to be the best, because the pieces I'm most interested in would likely be preserved. I'm in Southern Cal, and there are plenty of wreckers around, so it should be possible to find a suitable candidate, and not have to pay the big $$ that resellers ask. It would be great if one could test key components to find out if they are still OK and not damaged.
On a far-out idea, is there anyone who has thought of taking 2 complete S batteries and hooking them together? or at least being able to use them separately, that is one after the other, if not linked directly? My simplistic idea is that one could thereby get a much longer-range vehicle, even if it's a lot (?) heavier and requires longer charge time. There are vehicles I can think of that have enough ground clearance under the chassis to mount two packs, one on top of the other. Clearly there are things to be worked out with that, but the packs are structurally very rigid, so not a problem there... perhaps... And yes, the lower one would have the motor, transmission and suspension.
I'm asking a lot of big questions, hoping there are people who know more about them than I do, and that we could advance what I think is a very interesting approach to EV conversion.
Thanks!
Tom
San Marcos CA

What you are proposing is expensive in both in time and money, much more than buying a new car. It also requires exceptional mechanical, electrical and computer engineering. And if successful you would have an unsellable car, one you will always have to repair yourself, and either one that either can’t supercharge or that you always worry about losing supercharging.

If you have the insane amount of time, money, expertise and physical space, I suggest you familiarize yourself with the S salvage thread and then study EV conversions. I realize you are talking about reusing everything, but the conversions tackle many of the constraints of cross fitting parts.

The simplest implementation of this would use a rear wheel drive donor because of the single motor. Also a model 3 donor smaller batteries would fit in a lot more vehicles.

As to the combining two batteries, look at replacing the battery management with one of the third party systems.

I expect a cottage industry around Tesla kit cars at some point, like existed built on old VWs, but the cooling issues alone scare me more than the likely death I would incur by touching energized high voltage components.

Last edited:
Reactions: Froyoda
EV conversions are already happening in the hotrod community, which generally is without regard to expense. Body on any other chassis conversions always take a much more in depth approach because all of the integrated systems have to follow and function correctly or be coded out of the ECU. It's not simple because of the systems re-engineering required. ABS is a great thing to carry over but stability control and other safety systems are vehicle specific and usually must be disabled.
Also hitting the market are the beginnings of crate EV conversions with GM and Ford offerings that will likely expand over the next few years.

Aviar-R67-1-2.jpg

There you go: underpinned by the platform of a Tesla Model S it features the sedan’s same 100 kWh battery pack and two electric motors. Dubbed the Aviar R67, it is said to be good for 840 hp, can accelerate to 100 km/h (62 mph) in just 2.2 seconds and reach a top speed of 250 km/h (155 mph).

Last edited: