Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Barrett-Jackson

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have been watching the Barrett-Jackson auction for the past several days and can't believe the sales prices - a 1971 Plymouth Hemi Cuda for $525,000!!!! Yes, a lot of these cars have been seriously modified but that Cuda couldn't have sold for much more than $5,000 brand new. And since then several cars have been sold for more than a million dollars, and not just Bugattis. So my question is, why? My first thought is the buyers are realizing they are watching the end of an era and, soon, they won't be making any more, especially of these serious performance ICE cars.
We did see one Tesla model S Plaid sold.
While not an ICE fan a lot of these cars are works of art and, if I could afford it, I would love to have at least one of them to park in a very nice heated garage just to enjoy looking at it, sitting inside it and, every once in a while, starting it up and listening to that engine. I hope to never again purchase an ICE vehicle for every day use.

Scarcity. Not all those high dollar vehicles are modified, some are original and classic cars with original and matching motors, trannies etc… that essentially represent history long ago has value to some.

There are certain vehicles that are revered for who made them like Carole Shelby or Enzo Ferrari - men admired for their, shall we say, artistry in cars.

Sometimes value is in who owned the vehicle along the way. A car out of some famous celebrity’s garage gives it a unique history that adds value.

People find value in different things. There’s a classic car or two that I covet. Can’t really explain why. Perhaps childhood memories, nostalgia. There’s an era of cars that just aesthetically appeal to me.

One day some of our Tesla’s may become collectibles. Perhaps some of the short lived ModelS versions. Pre refresh with the oval face plate. Maybe an S60 sold as a 40. Or a P85D. Or the P100L. Or a really early employee VIN Model 3 with the Alcantara interior, colored glass and panel gaps. Heck, maybe a rare Lucid, Faraday, or Fisker from long bankrupt EV companies are the new headliners.

Preserving (certain) history is a thing humans like to do.

Reactions: Beasts and Mercimek
I used to drag race and modify transmissions for muscle cars. I also modified 70s bmws for track racing.

And I tell you, all these cars are junk.

The only reason why people pay that much is because nostalgia. We think they look good because it is nostalgic.

Don't hate me because what I'm writing.i used to love them and live with them. But there is nothing unique or good about these older cars. It's just a business now.

There is no way you would own one today even to keep it in a garage and look at it. If you take the nostalgic factor out, you realize that you modem EV is by far, by far much better car.

I owned a 1983 280ZX for 10 years and drove it everyday to work. Then I traded in for a M3LRAB. I though the Z was the best looking car ever. But no it was just a junk.

So to my view they are not work of art. FSD saving people life is a work of art. No long hood and safer car is a work of art. Walking to your car and the door opens is a work of art. No exhaust pipe is a work of art.

Last edited:
Reactions: outdoors
I used to drag race and modify transmissions for muscle cars. I also modified 70s bmws for track racing.

And I tell you, all these cars are junk.

The only reason why people pay that much is because nostalgia. We think they look good because it is nostalgic.

Don't hate me because what I'm writing.i used to love them and live with them. But there is nothing unique or good about these older cars. It's just a business now.

There is no way you would own one today even to keep it in a garage and look at it. If you take the nostalgic factor out, you realize that you modem EV is by far, by far much better car.

I owned a 1983 280ZX for 10 years and drove it everyday to work. Then I traded in for a M3LRAB. I though the Z was the best looking car ever. But no it was just a junk.

So to my view they are not work of art. FSD saving people life is a work of art. No long hood and safer car is a work of art. Walking to your car and the door opens is a work of art. No exhaust pipe is a work of art.
Before EVs entered the market place ICE designers and engineers produced vehicles that took advantage of the latest technology and in some instances were very pleasing to the eye. I am not advocating the use of ICE vehicles, just giving credit to people who did an excellent job with the tech they had. Museums are full of outdated examples of tech which we abandoned but still respect considering the time when they were current.

Well the soaring prices, even for a 1971 Plymouth Hemi Cuda, highlight the cultural and historical significance of these automotive masterpieces. And the scarcity, originality, and iconic associations contribute to their astronomical values. So here we are

Reactions: Beasts