Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PW 2 install scheduled... Jan 6th, just missing tax credit reduction deadline

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3 / Y, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
As per title, I have been actively after Tesla since my order of 2 PW2s to add to my existing Solar City 33 panel install. Tesla had a 1 month delay between my engineering approval and submitting for local permits, because of a office move / closure.

I called today, to check on status, since I had called my city to see that my permits had been approved (city only took about 8-9 days to approve the permit when it was finally submitted to them).

Was given number to scheduling department, who was very nice, and was able to get me scheduled but the first open schedule in my area is Jan 6th. They put me "on the list" to pull forward if there is availability, but now I have to hope someone cancels.

I told the scheduling person, "If there is availability this year, please just schedule it for me and notify me after that, I will be there... no need to contact me first to see if I want the date, because I do"

I find it funny that I am this excited about what is essentially a big set of D batteries (not really, but... lol).

Wondering if anyone else had luck with getting their PW installed "sooner" because of cancelations or is this not really a thing?

As per title, I have been actively after Tesla since my order of 2 PW2s to add to my existing Solar City 33 panel install. Tesla had a 1 month delay between my engineering approval and submitting for local permits, because of a office move / closure.

I called today, to check on status, since I had called my city to see that my permits had been approved (city only took about 8-9 days to approve the permit when it was finally submitted to them).

Was given number to scheduling department, who was very nice, and was able to get me scheduled but the first open schedule in my area is Jan 6th. They put me "on the list" to pull forward if there is availability, but now I have to hope someone cancels.

I told the scheduling person, "If there is availability this year, please just schedule it for me and notify me after that, I will be there... no need to contact me first to see if I want the date, because I do"

I find it funny that I am this excited about what is essentially a big set of D batteries (not really, but... lol).

Wondering if anyone else had luck with getting their PW installed "sooner" because of cancelations or is this not really a thing?

Did you already get a tax credit for the original install? If so, I thought it was one tax credit per home?

I'm in the same boat up in the SF Bay area and having solar + PW installed that same week. Tried for earlier but the story was PGE could not come to the disconnect. We are having our old panel replaced as part of this as well. I'm excited about having battery backup we spent about 1/3 of October without power.

Wow! 1/3 a month without power!

We lost power for 50 hours and that was enough for me to want Powerwalls and solar.

Did you already get a tax credit for the original install? If so, I thought it was one tax credit per home?

No I didnt, as the solar is a lease, not a purchase. No tax credit for me on that. Even if I did purchase it and get the tax credit on the solar, I am not sure having that would preclude me from getting the tax credit for energy storage. The things I have read all indicate that attaching energy storage to existing solar also qualifies for the tax credit, and I havent seen any stipulations on "cant have received tax credit on solar install".

With that being said, I did not dig into that aspect. I only checked into making sure I was eligible for the tax credit on the powerwalls when attaching them to my existing system.

No I didnt, as the solar is a lease, not a purchase. No tax credit for me on that. Even if I did purchase it and get the tax credit on the solar, I am not sure having that would preclude me from getting the tax credit for energy storage. The things I have read all indicate that attaching energy storage to existing solar also qualifies for the tax credit, and I havent seen any stipulations on "cant have received tax credit on solar install".

With that being said, I did not dig into that aspect. I only checked into making sure I was eligible for the tax credit on the powerwalls when attaching them to my existing system.

Thanks for the explanation. I was concerned because I am planning on installing solar tile roof, and trying to decide whether to add batteries now or later.

Just as a FYI for anyone, I asked my energy advisor if tesla could discount the 4% I was going to miss from the tax rebate through no issue on my part. After a few days my rep got back to me saying that "I was able to get confirmation that we will be able to refund the 4% ,after permission to operate is granted on your system".

That seems consistent with the message someone else got on another thread here I was reading, but wanted to pass on that I also got that message. I did the original purchase in the beginning of October, of this year.

Just as a FYI for anyone, I asked my energy advisor if tesla could discount the 4% I was going to miss from the tax rebate through no issue on my part. After a few days my rep got back to me saying that "I was able to get confirmation that we will be able to refund the 4% ,after permission to operate is granted on your system".

That seems consistent with the message someone else got on another thread here I was reading, but wanted to pass on that I also got that message. I did the original purchase in the beginning of October, of this year.
In also called Las Vegas team and they got back that I will get the 4% as my system will be installed next year.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin