Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quarantine in a Model Y with a bed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in Austin, TX. We just found out that my father-in-law might be passing away in a few days (not COVID related). He is in Chicago. We are considering driving from Austin. In order to minimize contact, we are thinking of sleeping in the Model Y when we get there. There are many beds online but nothing specific to the MY. Has anyone purchased one for the MY specifically? General thoughts on their use/quality? We might just get sleeping bags. It seems like the back area is big enough to sleep in even if I am 6’ 4”. Thanks in advance for the advice. I did not envision my first road trip on the MY being this way but oh well, ...

Hector

Ah man, sorry for the family illness. Measure the Y back and just get a generic air mattress that approximates that area. The Model Y with it's rear hatch should be GREAT for in-car camping. Still gotta find a shower and bathroom though......

I recently slept several nights in my model S during a somewhat similar emergency trip. We used sleeping bags on a foam mattress topper we had lying around. A couple layers of thick blankets could also work in a pinch, but foam was more comfortable. We also used a crib mattress to fill the step-off behind the model S's folded rear seats, but the model Y appears to have a flatter load floor making that unnecessary. Overall, sleeping in a Tesla is plenty comfortable with camp mode running. Just try not to bump your head when waking up... ;)

Autopilot was also unbelievably helpful during such a stressful time.

Best of luck. Stay safe.

Ben

Hector, very sorry to hear about your father-in-law. I can't even imagine the added stress caused by the virus situation.
I have not done this, but I spoke with an owner at a supercharger in Colorado who showed me his twin size foam mattress that rolled up and compressed into a very small package.
I have car camped using just a sleeping bag, but for an extended period, the foam mattress looks like a much more comfortable option.

Millard 6" tri fold fits nicely in the back on the Model Y. I'm 6'2", I can turn with my knees up & not hit the roof.

Motorized hatch in the rear come in very handy to climb in head first then have it close for you!

Me & my girlfriend plan to go camping a bunch after all the lockdowns end.

Picture origin: Tesla Model Y Interior, Trunk, Trunk Well, Frunk and Other Measurements

This person has the rear wheel width of the Modely Y at 37 inches! Even less!

The Exped Megamat Duo "medium" has a width of 40.9". I wonder with a little air taken out if it would work in the Model Y or the Model S? Anyone tried this? I have the original Megamat Duo which is huuuuge and doesn't work in the Model S.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-06-19 11.25.45.png
    Screenshot 2020-06-19 11.25.45.png
    291.3 KB · Views: 1,085