Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about default Gateway password

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Powerwall+ with a Backup Gateway 2. I've set up things like the Powerwall Dashboard to do local data logging and the like. Now I want to start using the tedapi, so I'm setting up another computer to connect to the TEG.

So far I've not changed the default TEG password. It's the last 5 characters of the ID printed on the inside of the Gateway. Now I'm trying to connect to this device from another computer. nmcli lists the connection as WPA2. But WPA2 requires an 8 character minimum password length. So how is the pypowerwall / Powerwall Dashboard or even NetZero able to login to the TEG directly? How is the default 5 character password usable? Is there something I am missing?

I have a Powerwall+ with a Backup Gateway 2. I've set up things like the Powerwall Dashboard to do local data logging and the like. Now I want to start using the tedapi, so I'm setting up another computer to connect to the TEG.

So far I've not changed the default TEG password. It's the last 5 characters of the ID printed on the inside of the Gateway. Now I'm trying to connect to this device from another computer. nmcli lists the connection as WPA2. But WPA2 requires an 8 character minimum password length. So how is the pypowerwall / Powerwall Dashboard or even NetZero able to login to the TEG directly? How is the default 5 character password usable? Is there something I am missing?
Those programs are connecting to the gateway through the local network.