Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about replacing my Gemini wheels with SSR GTX01 wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’m looking to replace the gemini wheels on my MYLR. Got it last year and almost 20k miles. It drove okay but I’ve heard lots of people saying that downgrading to 18’’ wheels will make driving it more comfortable. So I was looking around and found this SSR GTX01 wheels size 18x9.5 with 40 offset and I really liked the look especially in dark silver color.

So my question is anybody running these wheels? My only concern while doing research for 18” wheels on model Y is the wheels tend to be 18x8.5 which is 1 inch narrower so will I have any problem running this 18x9.5 with this tire size (245/50r18)?

I saw few people running this set of wheels on their model 3 but I can’t seem to find any picture of Model Y running this wheels so if anybody got ones please share your experience as well, I really appreciate that!

Reactions: hyp36rmax
9.5” is the factory wheel width for almost all MY wheels. The sole exception is the rear for MYP, at 10.5”.

The 8.5” you see are because the wheels are for the M3.

A tire shop, like TireRack can tell if the specifications themselves work in technical level. I think it’s okay. That being said, your 245 tires are narrower than the factory 255 wheels. And that means the wheel rims are even more exposed to potential curb rash than factory wheels. Just something to keep in mind.

Finally, I will say this… temper expectations on comfort with the wheel size change. I have 19” aftermarket wheels and compared to my factory 21s and I can’t tell any reasonable difference. But, then again, others claim they can from 19” to 18”. So again, “YMMV.”

Reactions: Noflash
9.5” is the factory wheel width for almost all MY wheels. The sole exception is the rear for MYP, at 10.5”.

The 8.5” you see are because the wheels are for the M3.

A tire shop, like TireRack can tell if the specifications themselves work in technical level. I think it’s okay. That being said, your 245 tires are narrower than the factory 255 wheels. And that means the wheel rims are even more exposed to potential curb rash than factory wheels. Just something to keep in mind.

Finally, I will say this… temper expectations on comfort with the wheel size change. I have 19” aftermarket wheels and compared to my factory 21s and I can’t tell any reasonable difference. But, then again, others claim they can from 19” to 18”. So again, “YMMV.”
I hear ya. To be honest I have no problem running factory gemini wheels. I just really like the looks of this wheels. I saw somebody on youtube running wheels with similar specs with 255/55r18 and it looks really meaty. Maybe I should look into that. Thanks for sharing your experience

on the 18x9.5 wheel, you won't notice any more comfort with stretched tires. the sidewalls are going to be angled inwards.

the reason people downsize to 18 inch wheels is because they're also downsizing to more narrow 8.5 inch width.

9.5 inch width is the bead to bead measurement which means the actual width of the wheel is around 10" wide. to make the sidewall more vertical, you'd need 275mm wide tire which is about 10.8 inch wide.

255/55R18 (29" diameter) might be too tall, the knuckle on the control arm might rub. TSportline tested several size tires and found that the max tire diameter is 28.6" a 245/55R18 is exactly 28.6" diameter, and would be better on a 18x8.5 wheel.

on the 18x9.5 wheel, you won't notice any more comfort with stretched tires. the sidewalls are going to be angled inwards.

the reason people downsize to 18 inch wheels is because they're also downsizing to more narrow 8.5 inch width.

9.5 inch width is the bead to bead measurement which means the actual width of the wheel is around 10" wide. to make the sidewall more vertical, you'd need 275mm wide tire which is about 10.8 inch wide.

255/55R18 (29" diameter) might be too tall, the knuckle on the control arm might rub. TSportline tested several size tires and found that the max tire diameter is 28.6" a 245/55R18 is exactly 28.6" diameter, and would be better on a 18x8.5 wheel.
I see. Thanks for a detailed explanation. I might have to widen my search for different wheels setup then. Feels like going with Tsportline is a easier choice but to be honest I don’t like any option that they currently offer.