Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HRE Wheel Sizing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking to get replacement wheels, and I messaged HRE about sizing, and they are saying that they can only fit 21" wheels on the Model Y due to the load capacity. Is anyone running 19" or 20" HRE wheels on their MY? I get that this is probably more from a liability perspective, but I am just curious if I should go ahead with HRE or seek another company. I can't imagine that the load capacity of the HRE is that much lower than any other major manufacturer.

So what then?

If it cracks or otherwise suffer some sort of damage related to load, are you going to claim “well, I thought they were lying to play it safe”?

Are you seeking approval for using something that isn’t rated for job?

Unless you willing to actually accept full responsibility of any issue related to the load rating, I suggest you just move on.

That's pretty strange. I would think a 19" wheel in the same width and construction should be stronger and more stable than a 21". I have nothing concrete to base that on other than experience with bicycle wheels which are not the same but still......
BTW, definitely go with the manufacturer here and don't assume something when it comes to something as safety critical as wheels.

That's pretty strange. I would think a 19" wheel in the same width and construction should be stronger and more stable than a 21". I have nothing concrete to base that on other than experience with bicycle wheels which are not the same but still......
BTW, definitely go with the manufacturer here and don't assume something when it comes to something as safety critical as wheels.
It could be a design thing. At 21”, thicker spokes don’t look too bad. When they shrank the rim, maybe it didn't look as nice as they wanted unless they made the spokes thinner or something.

Who knows.

Reactions: jmaddr
What did you end up going with? So few of these big manufacturers are actually posting their load ratings. I’m currently looking at BC Forged now.
I went with Aodhan(inspired by this thread)

I spent a lot of time researching different brands, figuring out the load ratings. I was close to getting some Kongs Ampliform but they also said the load rating wouldn't support a model y. It's hard to really imagine and see how these wheels would look on your car from just pictures.

My final list was Enkei TSR-X, TSW Neptune, VMR 802/806, Rohana RFX1 and 2. TSW never got back about the load rating.
I think I would've been fine with any of those choices minus the Rohanas(I think for that style I'd need to keep it at 21" and lower the car).
In the end, the Aodhans had the best value proposition.
A lot of the pictures on this forum don't really capture it well. It looks better in person.
I only wish I got bronze(shot down by the wife)

I went with Aodhan(inspired by this thread)

I spent a lot of time researching different brands, figuring out the load ratings. I was close to getting some Kongs Ampliform but they also said the load rating wouldn't support a model y. It's hard to really imagine and see how these wheels would look on your car from just pictures.

My final list was Enkei TSR-X, TSW Neptune, VMR 802/806, Rohana RFX1 and 2. TSW never got back about the load rating.
I think I would've been fine with any of those choices minus the Rohanas(I think for that style I'd need to keep it at 21" and lower the car).
In the end, the Aodhans had the best value proposition.
A lot of the pictures on this forum don't really capture it well. It looks better in person.
I only wish I got bronze(shot down by the wife)
Gotcha. The Aodhans looked great, but I wasn't sure how the finish would hold up to the winters here. If the BC Forged end up being out of my price range I may settle for those or maybe some flow Avant Gardes.

Reactions: coolprius
There are Model X and S Plaids with HRE's. Meccanica on Twitter is rocking a set on his:
Surely there are compatible HRE Wheels for MY...

,,,EDIT: Misread you were looking for 19 and 20's. Have you considered BBS or Rays Volk?

1705689844050.png

Last edited:
There are Model X and S Plaids with HRE's. Meccanica on Twitter is rocking a set on his:
Surely there are compatible HRE Wheels for MY...

,,,EDIT: Misread you were looking for 19 and 20's. Have you considered BBS or Rays Volk?

View attachment 1010455
Yea I’m considering Rays and BBS, but I was just hoping to find a cheaper option! I think if I go forged then I’ll go with BC Forged, seems to have great reviews and a bit cheaper than the others.

Reactions: hyp36rmax
When I reached out to HRE around the holidays (they had a deal on the rotary forged wheels), they told me that they only had them in 21 inch sizing, as well. However, the custom non-rotary forged--the actual fully forged wheels--could be custom made for them. But the price scared me away, so I went and looked at Apex wheels and those are the ones I picked.

Reactions: SlvrDragon50
I am looking to get replacement wheels, and I messaged HRE about sizing, and they are saying that they can only fit 21" wheels on the Model Y due to the load capacity. Is anyone running 19" or 20" HRE wheels on their MY? I get that this is probably more from a liability perspective, but I am just curious if I should go ahead with HRE or seek another company. I can't imagine that the load capacity of the HRE is that much lower than any other major manufacturer.
I am starting to look at replacement wheels for my MYP. My understanding is that the load rating isn't related to the size. You need to find wheels that are rated for the load stamped on the door sticker.