Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about total_pack_energy from the Tesla Customer API

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a newly commissioned 8.19 kWh PV + 2 Powerwall system. The hardware itself was installed 7/16. It took a while for the building inspector to sign off on the install (he found chipped roof tiles that Tesla had to replace). PG&E sent the PTO about 8 days after Tesla submitted the interconnect agreement. That happened a couple of days ago.

Before the PTO, I spent time playing with the system. I set up a Grafana dashboard-based monitoring system to watch the operation of the system (thanks to Jason @ rhodesman/teslaPowerDash for the great template to work from).

The first thing I noticed is that my dashboard is showing 25.4kW for the pack's total energy. Looking at the JSON returned from Tesla's API:

curl --request GET --header 'Authorization: Bearer XXX' https://owner-api.teslamotors.com/api/1/products | jq .response[2].total_pack_energy
Note: I have 2 cars appearing first in the returned array, hence the index 2 for the energy site

I see "25376". The spec for each powerwall is 13.5kW usable, so the pair should be ~27kW. I would expect the returned value, especially on a brand new install, to be a lot closer to 27000. What values are others seeing on their systems?

First of all, you are welcome! Glad my guide on Github helped get you setup with the Power Dashboard.

Second, I too have noticed that the powerwalls total pack energy is far less than what I would expect them to have available, especially from new. Mine is reading: "total_pack_energy": 23543 right now and I believe it's been dropping since I got them (but I lost my original data from earlier this year).

I called Tesla about this discrepancy a couple months back and they claimed they "fixed" it as in it is just an improper reading of the total pack power. But I suspect mine has been slowly decreasing since I got them installed and I am 100% certain I've never seen them anywhere close to tesla's stated pack energy.

I do not have a lot of data on this unfortunately due to a bug in my original power data API server that I didn't bother to fix until just now, but going back through the data that I do have, I found something interesting. If you take a look at the graph, you can see for the week of July 3rd, I put my powerwalls on backup only and then before and after I had them set to "self-powered" with a buffer of 25%. You'll notice that when the Powerwalls are in self powered mode, the total_pack_power starts to drop off. However, when I put the powerwalls in 100% backup only mode, they got a boost half way through the week in total pack power (23.92kWh to 24.27kWh).

So maybe, in some ways, we should be switching between self-powered and 100% backup? I dunno, for the winter months I had them set to 75% backup, 25% self-powered but considering how little sun we're getting, I might move that back to 100% backup and allow the house to either be on grid or solar when available.

Curious what others might have logged as well as yourself @barely .
Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 10.21.00 AM.png