Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question: Best OEM or equivalent Tires for Model 3? - 05/2025 -

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I’m looking for the best tires for my model 3. I am going from 19” rims with random Michelins to 18” rims and I want efficiency (range) and performance (handling/traction/safety) as my top concerns.

Currently I’ve been eyeing the Hankook ION Evo tires since they’re supposedly excellent for range/efficiency and performance.

What I’d like to know is anyone’s experience (not opinions) with any replacement 18 tires they could recommend. Should I just get something that it normally comes with instead and maybe save money (I.E. Michelin, continentals or Hannkook Ventus or whatever).

Also, if anyone knows the exact models of the OEM tires (I.E, Hamlin Venus xyz, etc.) I’d really appreciate having that info to use for comparison and possibly go that route.

Thank you for reading.

Also, if anyone knows the exact models of the OEM tires (I.E, Hamlin Venus xyz, etc.) I’d really appreciate having that info to use for comparison and possibly go that route.

In the US, the Tesla Model 3 OEM tires with 18" wheels are or were:
  • Hankook Ventus S1 AS
  • Hankook Kinergy GT
  • Michelin Primacy MXM4
Note that these are Tesla-spec versions; there may be "generic" or other-OEM versions in the same size that are different.

There's a lot of options out there.

The "Best Tire" is the one that fits your need. It's pretty much like "What's the best color Model 3" It's all personal opinion.
What makes a tire best for you?
Wear?
Comfort?
Handling?
Cost?

As with most things, you can optimize one or two of the categories, but not all of them at the same time.

I think that the ElectriveDrive 2 is new, at least I just saw a blurb about it in the news that I was reading.

1717787818083.png

In the US, the Tesla Model 3 OEM tires with 18" wheels are or were:
  • Hankook Ventus S1 AS
  • Hankook Kinergy GT
  • Michelin Primacy MXM4
Note that these are Tesla-spec versions; there may be "generic" or other-OEM versions in the same size that are different.

This is something I'd like to find out more info about. I mean are these "tesla specific" versions available from retailers? how would we know the difference?

Yep, different retailers have them. You need to do a little research.
The Michelin Primacy MXM4 has a "T1" annotated to its name technically for the Tesla specific one.

The Hankook Ventus S1 AS, in 235/45R18 has a 98V load and the Tesla specific is the only one of that line with the "Soundabsorber" foam.

Go look on "Spec" on the Hankook site. There are two tires with 235/45R18. One has material code 1030060 with foam, 98V, and lower 8.5 tread depth vs standard 10.

That's the Tesla tire.

I would not get the Kinergy GT tire, it is an older tech hankook and not as good as the MXM4 or the Hankook Ventus S1 AS.

Personally I will go for the Hankook iON AS as replacement which will be quieter and have a longer warranty and life than any of the above while maintaining high efficiency. If you want somewhat more performance/grip at a slight cost in efficiency and comfort vs the iON then the Pirelli PZero AS Elect (make sure to get "Elect") tires also have good reviews. The Hankook iON is a "grand touring" tire class while the Pirelli PZero AS Elect is a "high performance" tire class.

Neither one will have the grip of a serious summer performance tire, but those will have less treadlife, more noise and significantly lower efficiency.

The Bridgestone Turanza EV and Goodyear ElectricDrive GT seem to have significantly reduced efficiency according to anecdotal reports vs the Tesla OEM tires (or Hankook iON) even though they are supposedly EV tuned. Goodyear seems to know this and they are introducing now the ElectricDrive 2 and phasing out the GT (you can see them at suddenly lower prices).

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc_Hudson
Regarding OEM tires, I saw a new 2024 Model 3 (Highland) with Michelin Primacy tires on it. The tires did not have MXM4 on them, and did have a T0 mark on them.
Which size wheel?

This in addition to a previously seen 2024 Model 3 (Highland) with Hankook Ventus S1 AS tires on it.
It's possible that Tesla has multiple suppliers competing for the business.

Really depends on what your priority is.
Range, Grip, Bad Weather, Sound, Tread Life

I replaced the Michelin Primacy with the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires and observed:
Much improved grip, better in bad weather and superior tire / tread life
I got worse range by 5% or so
Think sound was similar ; maybe slight advantage to the Primacy.

Felt like a huge upgrade at the time and the cost on the Pilot Sports was actually lower than the Primacy so unclear to me why anyone would buy those ; when I needed my next set I went with the same Pilots ; so on my 3rd set of tires now/

In 2024 though I would give the new Hankook ION that Telsa is using. I expect they will be better for range and quieter than anything else. For me it would be between those and the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires

If it means anything on the Model Y performance 2024 ; which is sold with all seasons at least in my region.
Early in the year and last year they were coming with the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires but recently have switched to Hankook ION as well as the new OEM tires - change is within the past month or two so Telsa lots around me have both variations on them.
I think the fact Telsa thinks the Hankook's are good enough for their performance model is interesting.

Last edited: