Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question for TEG - Service records for VP #32

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi TEG - I was referred to you by another member but not sure how to direct message. I own VP #32 and am trying to find service records on the vehicle. It appears to have the 2nd gen updated nose with paint that has a different metallic finish than the rest of the vehicle. I've owned the vehicle for like 6 years and in none of the prior ownership service records do I see any mention of upgrading the nose to the 2nd gen. I believe the vehicle was originally the marketing vehicle for the Denver sales center. I'm wondering if this might have been done at the factory after original assembly as they were testing later parts or at some other point. Let me know if you can help solve this mystery or can point me in the right direction. Much appreciated.

Attachments

• roadster nose.jpg
    roadster nose.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 99
Welcome! This gem has been discussed in several threads if you search “roadster vp32”.
Here‘s a sample that I remember seeing-
I’m sure @TEG or @DeedWest has much more to add. VPs are an interesting mix since they were both ‘true’ Validation Prototype vs. Media cars. The production date on the VDS would hint to their true roles. I would be concerned that the 2.5 bumper on vp32 was not a Tesla post release manufacture modification, but prior to first ownership, since the paint does not match. I’ve seen cars that Tesla had modified prior to selling to promote the 2.5 model updates. Most were in the 800’s vin including vin 830, 848, and 865 (I did not count Elon’s 686 since it was done post delivery). This makes a lot since because 2.5 vins started with 964. I would have Carl repaint the bumper cover to match the rest if this was my roadster.

Thanks eHorses! Looking through the old chats it appears the prior owner decided to replace the front end. Now I know how that came to be. Perhaps when I send it in for regular service I'll have them repaint or retrofit an original nose, but it hasnt bothered me much.

Indeed I posted it on ebay after owning it a few months just as a joke. Probably should have waited until April 1st to be even more appropriate. Amazing to see how much press and comments it received, some people definitely take things too seriously. Interesting to see that founder's edition are now a quarter of the way to the million mark, blowing way past what people thought just a few years back. No doubt it will be a 7 figure car probably sooner than we think since it is the poster-car for a generation like the McLaren F1 was to Elon. But it's way too cool a piece of automotive history, I have no intention to sell, and my wife loves it too :)

Reactions: eHorses
My records are maybe rudimentary compared to rumors, and I don't have any "service records" on VP32. This is just what I have in my notes from "internet sleuthing":
5YJRE11B181V00032 VP32 CO"ATESLA" Sterling Silver - Chicago (Illinois Dealer 1881) Nov/2009 - Sold Denver, CO 11/17/2009 4,983 miles TITLE (Title #:50E080105) "Born Feb'09"
11/17/2009 Denver, CO - 4983 miles
11/02/2012 Renton, VA - 7393 miles
06/03/2016 CA
06/10/2016 Alameda, CA - 17661 miles 94501

Attachments

• VP32-5YJRE11B181V00032.jpg
    VP32-5YJRE11B181V00032.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 56
  • VP32-5YJRE11B181V00032-b.JPG
    VP32-5YJRE11B181V00032-b.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 55