Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Zero Service Records?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bought a used Model S from a dealer who got it from Tesla after the old owner traded it in. I was already at the Service Center for my Model X, so I asked nicely if I could see the service history for the Model S. After some convincing, the service person checked, but there were no records when he looked up the VIN. Is that strange? The car doesn't have any active recalls, so the person before me should've fixed the eMMC issue at least, and that should've been in the records, shouldn't it?

Maybe they've changed it so it automatically hides the info once it registers an owner change? But it seems like a technician should be able to see all, IDK.

Maybe Tesla restricted that exactly to prevent social engineering attacks resulting in privacy violations as described in this very thread.

Keep in mind having access to older data may also expose personal info about previous owners, which opens a completely different can of worms.

Being a current owner, I find it very difficult to keep my service records, even for recent service. The chat holds most of the information, and the service invoice is like a summary of actions, not what really happened. Screen printing chat is time consuming. Tesla ought to have a better way of providing the service history in one place for the vehicle. They can sanitize any previous owner service records to protect personal information.

Maybe Tesla restricted that exactly to prevent social engineering attacks resulting in privacy violations as described in this very thread.

Keep in mind having access to older data may also expose personal info about previous owners, which opens a completely different can of worms.
Personal info in service records? Maybe if they do something dumb like include the address of the previous owner, but that's just poor records keeping/report generation. I got the list of service records from the Honda dealer that serviced my truck before I bought it by just showing up at the dealership and providing them the VIN. There was no personal info included about the previous owner at all. Tesla is just cagey about providing this info because people may be able to use it to generate (un)reliability trends.

Being a current owner, I find it very difficult to keep my service records, even for recent service. The chat holds most of the information, and the service invoice is like a summary of actions, not what really happened. Screen printing chat is time consuming. Tesla ought to have a better way of providing the service history in one place for the vehicle. They can sanitize any previous owner service records to protect personal information.
When I get a service invoice it always comes via PDF. When I open it on my phone I just "share" it to myself that via email and then I save it at home. I also keep a spreadsheet of service records so I can combine maintenance or mods I've done myself.

Personal info in service records? Maybe if they do something dumb like include the address of the previous owner, but that's just poor records keeping/report generation. I got the list of service records from the Honda dealer that serviced my truck before I bought it by just showing up at the dealership and providing them the VIN. There was no personal info included about the previous owner at all. Tesla is just cagey about providing this info because people may be able to use it to generate (un)reliability trends.

When I get a service invoice it always comes via PDF. When I open it on my phone I just "share" it to myself that via email and then I save it at home. I also keep a spreadsheet of service records so I can combine maintenance or mods I've done myself.

Your personal info is stored in invoices abd service locations, and god knows where else in their systems. Yes, you can filter all of that out, but knowing Tesla they probably decided to just restrict everything as the simplest solution.

And so did the Service Tech imply that this was strange or normal? I would guess Tesla is trying to shield itself from both the exposure of a record for repair work (especially on earlier productions) and protect itself from a suit of privacy. Oddly my CPO Tesla's service history has shielded from me, but the previous owner left their Chargepoint card and addressed envelope in the physical Tesla owner's manual booklet. I mailed it back to her explaining how I ended up with it and assured nothing funny happened. I figured she might still have another EV and would find use for the Chargepoint card.

I'd love to know the the history of the car; I suppose I could always ask the previous owner if she would oblige. Tesla's policy is to not reveal the information about the vehicle (short of recall work).and the owner.