Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question on layout of electrical boxes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just spoke with an advisor to ask about the possibility of moving the electrical boxes.

The advisor actually told me that the new Tesla policy is that the site lead will decide on the day where to best put all the electrical boxes, while taking into account my preferences, if possible.

They also told me Tesla doesn't schedule a walkthrough of the install with the contractor before install day anymore, everything is going to happen on install day.

Does that sound right to you guys? It sounds to me like there is no use to talk to an advisor about changing the design plans anymore and I need to discuss with the site lead on the day of the install. I just don't feel comfortable potentially being pressured to install boxes where I prefer they not be on the day of the install just because the whole crew is already there.
I remember reading on their web page while signing the contract, that you have to pay extra if you want in person site survey by a Tesla technician. The alternative was to take pictures of the garage, the power panels, the exterior of the house, etc, and upload it on your project page. I wish I had paid for the in person site survey, which would have given me the chance to discuss the installation in detail with them. I could have avoided the hassle and run around that I'm currently going through post installation. I'm in the East Bay, BTW.

The day before my install, I called Tesla for diagram of the locations of where all the boxes and battery were going to be put. They emailed me a tiny blurry diagram and said everything was on the outside. It was unreadable. I told them I want everything on the inside, and phone rep said she'll relay my message.

On day of install, I told them where I wanted all the boxes on the inside of my garage, and they obliged as long as it was to code.

If they put anything on the outside on day of install, I would have just told them to leave.

I remember reading on their web page while signing the contract, that you have to pay extra if you want in person site survey by a Tesla technician. The alternative was to take pictures of the garage, the power panels, the exterior of the house, etc, and upload it on your project page. I wish I had paid for the in person site survey, which would have given me the chance to discuss the installation in detail with them. I could have avoided the hassle and run around that I'm currently going through post installation. I'm in the East Bay, BTW.

The strangest thing is that I did ask for a site survey and Tesla sent one out free of charge. He took all the pictures and we discussed where I would like to put the Powerwalls (where I incorrectly assumed the other electrical boxes would also be located). However, when discussing the plan with the PA, she said just because it's in the plan doesn't mean that it will be followed. It would be up to the discretion of the site lead. So maybe that makes you feel better :)

Still frustrated that I cannot get a confirmation of the design in terms of what can and cannot be done to my house before the day of the install even after a site survey was conducted where the guy took all the necessary pictures.