Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question regarding default Tint Percentages

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I considered having the back glass tinted in two pieces, with the seam lined up on the defroster line. I'm really glad I did not do that. It's really hard to get the seam perfectly matched, and it would have bothered me to see the line every time I look.
Yes, if one's looking for a full tint coverage, single-piece application is most definitely the preferred method.
For those looking for only a partial tint coverage, a cut-off is unavoidable. To that, it is a delicate art between tint shade and where to place the film to achieve the best compromise. For example:

Bad
Model 3 Tint.jpg

Not as Bad
DYf8xDNUMAAMSIm.jpg

Still waiting on @Leeclanual to see if his could do better! :)

...incorrect..driver and passenger is allowable..windshield is allowable with medical exemption..
  • Windshield: Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 4 inches of the windshield.
  • Front Side windows: Aftermarket film must allow more than 88% of light in, or minimum 70% VLT if combined with factory-tinted windows.
  • Back Side windows: Any darkness can be used.
  • Rear Window: Any darkness can be used.
I wonder how the 3-person car pool lane usage could be checked?
I noticed that my car get flashed last tine I passed the car pool gate at the SF Bay Bridge tool.

Yes, if one's looking for a full tint coverage, single-piece application is most definitely the preferred method.
For those looking for only a partial tint coverage, a cut-off is unavoidable. To that, it is a delicate art between tint shade and where to place the film to achieve the best compromise. For example:

Bad
View attachment 375035

Not as Bad
View attachment 375034

Still waiting on @Leeclanual to see if his could do better! :)
Bad definitely looks worse to me than Not as Bad, but Not as Bad still would drive me insane.

Reactions: Glamisduner
The factory side tint on a Model 3 is 81% as tested per my meter. I can't test the windshield or back window as it won't slide over those panels. When we apply STEK ACTION 35% tint it will read 25% after installed over factory tint. In Washington state the tint law is 24% allowed so it's nearly perfect for legal limit.
In tint terms I think you mean it's 20% then. 81% tint means 81% of light can pass though, you would hardly be able to see the tint and it would appear untinted. Something isn't right with your numbers.

I think he meant exactly that, 81% VLT, which seems about right for all four OEM side windows.
In tint terms I think you mean it's 20% then. 81% tint means 81% of light can pass though, you would hardly be able to see the tint and it would appear untinted. Something isn't right with your numbers.
I think he meant exactly that, 81% VLT, which seems about right for all four OEM side windows.

Thanks for sharing. Have you considered trimming it down? I personally think it'll look better like the 2nd example I posted.

I actually don’t notice the rear tint any longer... from outside it looks like the tint is uniform for the entire length of roof. Inside looking out it’s easy to see behind car during the day/night. Overall I’m very happy with the one piece install.

Yes correct, sorry for not being clear. The factory VLT is 81% on the side windows meaning that 81% of the light will transmit through.