Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question to late 2017 and 2018 Model S owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, agree about handling. I think the S wallows, compared to what I'm used to ... but 90% of my driving is dual carriageway ...

Battery-size is interesting; originally I was going to buy 85, but it was discontinued and I had choice of downgrade to 75 (with refund) or up to 90 (plus cash) and actually I'm glad I did went with the 90, albeit that the reason I choose the 85 originally was because I resented the extra cost of "a small increase in battery size". Of course with what I know now avoiding some charging stops, faster miles-per-unit-time charging, shorter stop for "just enough to get to destination", and so on all cumulatively create a benefit (once the capital cost is "sunk"). Only for people going out of range of course ...

I seem to find that I'm last to arrive at a Supercharger (obviously :) ) but frequently first-to-leave as well, so I figure others are smaller battery and needing to charge-more to get to destination / next stop, or are just "slower Miles-per-unit-time" charging ... so 75's rather than 100's. I'll check the decals in future to see if theory is correct.

Wifee has been with me often when I've been driving / Supercharging and done one solo-trip (which was horrendous Winter weather, lousy range, no-entry/limit-access Motorway service charging, and CHAdeMO ... so a good Training Course :p), but she'd definitely take it more but for that. And with what I know now I would attach far more weight to the whole roadtrip charging aspect. Irrelevant to anyone who can charge at home 99% of the time, but looking back at my TeslaFi stats 12% of my kWh has come from Superchargers, and given that each road-trip starts with 100% charge that 12% is a fair bit more than that as overall "road trip mileage" percentage.

Supercharging is no hassle - mostly I just need 15 minutes or so to complete my journey - but I could persuade myself that "No-charging" would be better still.

I don't know if there is any real tangible benefit [i.e. battery longevity] to only charging to, say, 70% day-to-day, but I would be able to do that too