Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions about the Falcon Heavy test launch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking to understand better the mission and flight path of the FH.
- Mission is simple to find out: Test flight. [CHECKED]
- Flight path?
- Will the roadster come back? what will happen to it?

Roadster is test cargo. It may orbit around the solar system for millions of years if it doesn't run into something.

I wonder how long the camera(s) will keep sending video? It doesn't have solar panels, so I suspect the battery will run down eventually.
Also, not sure the range of the transmitters in that thing.

It is just a silly adventure... more fun than a block of cement ballast. I don't think they are trying to make any scientific breakthroughs here.
Just goofing around with a $500m experimental project.

Roadster is test cargo. It may orbit around the solar system for millions of years if it doesn't run into something.

I wonder how long the camera(s) will keep sending video? It doesn't have solar panels, so I suspect the battery will run down eventually.
Also, not sure the range of the transmitters in that thing.

It is just a silly adventure... more fun than a block of cement ballast. I don't think they are trying to make any scientific breakthroughs here.
Just goofing around with a $500m experimental project.

Elon said the Roadster had enough batteries for 12 hours of video. No panels, so no more juice. Elon mentioned the car was basically just his car with nothing done to it. During the webcast they explain the various payloads. The most significant was an ARC with Asimov's Foundation series preserved.

I am looking to understand better the mission and flight path of the FH.
- Mission is simple to find out: Test flight. [CHECKED]
- Flight path?
- Will the roadster come back? what will happen to it?

I'm sure that Falcon Heavy - Wikipedia would have all the information you need.
You can also read through the launch thread here:
Falcon Heavy - 7&8 Reuse - Elon's Roadster Demo - LC-39A
That has lots of details pertaining to this specific launch.

They should have talked to this guy:

panels1.jpg

The roadster is just a cool mass simulator. Its batteries aren't used for anything.

Apparently the stage and the roadster stay together forever.

The reasoning is when a payload is ejected it receives something like 1 m/s separation push that sounds like little, but over a day it adds up to thousands of Kms, eventually becoming millions. USAF tracking sees a single object (roadster+upper stage). I could be wrong and eventually see an additional object.

The roadster is being cataloged by astronomers:
Jonathan McDowell on Twitter

The roadster has been cataloged by NORAD:
AF Space Command on Twitter
43205 TESLA ROADSTER/FALCON 9H 2018-017A PAYLOAD

In fact, SpaceX chose the (launch preparation) path that allowed them to spend as little as possible on the integration and preparation of the Roadster for launch. Even adding solar panels to it would have costed millions USD (done in a way that would have a high likely hood of working).

SpaceX must keep its high profile, we know what we're doing and plan things well mantra. There are always unknowns but they are (mostly) predicted. You don't add hardware to the system without proper simulation and testing.
Launch environment typically subject payloads to 5 or 6Gs. Anything that looks sturdy on the ground might not handle even 3 Gs. Far more complex than meets the eye.

The roadster is not planned to ever return to land. Its an orbit that's like a comet that flies between earth distance to the sun and beyond Mars distance. That doesn't assure everytime it returns to Earth altitude (perigee) that Earth will be here too. Because they have different orbital periods. Earth's is one year. The roadster is over 2 years.

It is predicted to pass somewhat close to earth in 11 years, but not flying around the earth.

PS: I'm not a rocket engineer, astro physics degree or any other expertise where you do study this stuff. Just know too much math and physics for high school but too little to be a physicist. Any corrections are welcomed.

I've read that based on the latest orbital calculations they expect the Roadster to be back near Earth in about 55 years after 33 orbits. The simulations say the orbit should be pretty stable for 10s of thousands of years at least, but it will steadily get perturbed by Jupiter and eventually get tossed out of the solar system or fall into the Sun. I don't think the simulations are anywhere near accurate enough to predict which fate or when though.

• Informative
Reactions: MMC-