Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quick 18" vs. 19" wheel option question...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All:

Are the 19" inch wheels considered "low profile"? I ask because I have a Model S and I got rid of the low profile tires because in the Chicago area, the potholes can be brutal.

I can't tell from the pictures if there is much different in the amount of sidewall area is on the tire.

Also, does anyone understand the impact to taking the wheel covers off with the 18" option? I really don't like those covers and could possibly see having the car with them off.

I too am interested in this. In a recent video I watched oh, it appears that the tires may need to be replaced more often. Is there a large variance in tire costs? I also have a steep driveway and I'm hoping that with the larger wheel we may gain some clearance.

I too am interested in this. In a recent video I watched oh, it appears that the tires may need to be replaced more often. Is there a large variance in tire costs? I also have a steep driveway and I'm hoping that with the larger wheel we may gain some clearance.

After doing a quick search on the Model 3, I found that the wheel size doesn't impact clearance. Should still have more clearance than the Model 3 according to pictures though.

Yes, 19s come with low profile tires. The 18s will offer taller and stronger sidewalls, plus lighter rims.

Removing the covers does reduce efficiency. A lot of people do it, and don't seem to mind. I haven't tried, although I have the kit to do it.

ok, here is my question though. I have owned two cars with "low profile" tires. One was my Model S with 21"s. The other was my Mercedes 350. They seemed to have even thinner "low profile" tires. I can say my Mercedes was horrible when I owned it. I had four flats in three years. Mainly because I took the back roads to and from the city and hit potholes. Never had an issue w/my Model S because it was a very short period of time. I know these pix are fuzzy, but there seems to be a big difference between the two "low profile" tires on the Y vs. the S. Yes, I understand the S is a 21" tire, but I am still trying to understand if maybe the 19" version of the sport tire is a middle ground? Pic 1 is an S w/21's and the 2nd pic is a Y with the 19"'s.

Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 5.56.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 5.56.10 PM.png

From posts by Tsportline and some pictures people have taken of the prototypes, the Model Y's 19-inch wheels are 255/45, so that nets you around 114mm of sidewall.
The 18's are supposedly 255/50 with around 127mm of sidewall.
The 20's are 255/40 with 102mm of sidewall.

Do note that the Model 3's 235/45 aero wheels have around 105mm of sidewall.

• Informative
Reactions: PNWLeccy
From posts by Tsportline and some pictures people have taken of the prototypes, the Model Y's 19-inch wheels are 255/45, so that nets you around 114mm of sidewall.
The 18's are supposedly 255/50 with around 127mm of sidewall.
The 20's are 255/40 with 102mm of sidewall.

Do note that the Model 3's 235/45 aero wheels have around 105mm of sidewall.

That is great info. So in a sense, there are "low profile" and "super low profile" tires :)

The other part of the equation is the overall weight of the car. I can only assume a Y will weigh less than an S so the odds of a bent rim/blowout would be less given tires being equal.

I think I will stick with the 19"'s.....I really like that look better. Call me old fashion, but I can't adjust (yet) to the black saucer look on the rims.

Thanks all for the info! These boards are an awesome resource!

Tesla's Model Y page just got updated, the 19-inch Gemini's wheels look to be standard with 20-inch "Induction" wheels as an option. No signs of 18's anywhere.

Performance apparently gets 21-inch "Uberturbine" wheels (possibly the turbines on the Model 3 proto?) but it's displayed with the 19's.