Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random Internet Guy's 26 Hour Test Drive Impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In another thread, I mentioned that I did a dB measurement between my S and 3. Here are my results:

Road noise (30mph, approx 4 min duration)
Model S: 48dB
Model 3: 50dB

Wind noise (70mph, approx 2 min duration)
Model S: 54dB
Model 3: 57dB

The 3 is a tad louder, but very hard to tell by ear. The cars sound very similar to me. For reference, 60dB is considered normal conversational noise levels. At speed, when wind noise starts to cover road noise, it's not that much louder.

My 3 was built Feb 2018. As reported before in this thread, my seals look pretty good all around. Cabin is very quiet and also very air-tight. I've had no issues holding conversation at highway speeds.

Excellent observations and feedback lapolak!

I'm on the fence for exactly the same reasons as you. If I could splurge $60k, I would have configured mine already.

I can't get over the fact that for example, I can pick up a brand new 2018 Accord for about $40K CAD and it has the majority of safety features for driver assistance and safety and does not feel like a budget/econobox anymore and also supports Android Auto and Apple Car play (yes, its not a luxury BMW, Audi, Benz or Lexus, however Honda have vastly improved the materials and general feel of the car to the point that it feels so much more high end - almost luxury, than all the previous generations). The icing on the cake is that its fuel economy is pretty insane for such a big car - its definitely bigger than the M3 (I've sat in both).

At the same time, I really wanted to get the M3, but I may be forced to wait for the low range model to justify the CAD$45K + price.

The instant torque, all-glass roof, almost no maintenance is kinda hard to ignore, but as someone else pointed out, you can pick up a 2015 S-Class or CLS550 for the same coin and those cars are light years ahead in terms of luxury, fit and finish.

Now if you’re comparing a used Merc or Bimmer, then compare it to a used Model S, which is about $45k. Just some background for perspective here, I used to own a top of the line Lexus LS460 (which I loved), around $90k plus.

Before deciding on the Tesla, I test drove the preowned CLS, I’m here to say I’m so glad I pulled the trigger on a Model S instead. It blows away any other car I’ve driven including the Merc and LS460. Just recently, I drove the C-Class for 7 days, it was the most depressing 7 days of my life since getting the Model S. The darn Merc was sluggish, all the knobs and buttons didn’t make any sense, the camera was tiny, the starter stopped and started every time I stopped at a light. I had to pump gas again ($70 for the week), I honestly felt like I was in the dark ages and couldn’t wait to be back in my Model S. Tesla really changed my driving habits and my views of what luxury should be. I used to think luxury was about fine leather, now I think it’s about the tech, the thing that makes your commute more bearable.

The things Tesla thinks about to make your life more effcient that you’ve never even considered to be a big deal suddenly becomes features you cannot live without. For instance:

1. never having to click a remote to open doors, never having to push a start button (starter for my LS cost $1200 to replace), Tesla = no starter switch.

2. never having to push “off” when leaving the car. I find myself just jumping out of ICE cars walking away and then remembering that the key is still inside, most annoying thing ever.

3. pumping gas. Pumping gas early morning. Pumping gas late nights. Pumping gas when I’m tired. Pumping gas when I’m late. Gas lines...

4. Oil change on my Ls460 was $600 a year (luxury comes with a price tag unfortunately). Tesla = no oil change.

5. Radiator busted in my (lots of things go bust in ICE cars), cost me $750. Tesla=no radiator.

6. No worrying about expensive German parts when things break down (that’s why I got the Lexus, but it was still expensive for parts.

7. I go through one set of brake pads per year. Tesla has regenitive braking.

8. German luxury cars: you have to worry about the transmission going bad after 100k miles, Tesla=no transmission, minimum $5K savings.

9. I never hesitate when there’s oncoming traffic, the Tesla just takes off. Same with yellow lights (hesitation is dangerous). The C class reminded me how much I missed my Tesla.

10. Regent braking is a life saver.

11. The 17 inch screen. OMG! Own it and you’ll never want to try anything else.

12. Back up camera is superb, nothing on the market compares.

13. Safety, I don’t worry as much.

14. Music: no more commercials.

I have a dozen more example, but trust me on this, you won’t come close to understand how much the Tesla has changed my life. Only way to understand it is to own one yourself. By far the best purchase ever.

If I can sum it up I would write it like this. Once you have the iphone, there’s no going back to the flip phone, no matter how luxury the flip phone is, it’s just not cutting it anymore. Tesla’s the new iPhone, everything else are flips.

Last edited:
What do you refer to when you mention resonant frequencies?

I am actually a bit more particular about sounds as I went through a bout of anxiety due to intrusive Tinnitus (haha) so I became much more peeved by noises that annoy me ;P.

It wasn't horribly loud, its quieter than most cars I've been in. I was just expecting it to be on-par or better than the Chevy Bolt... which was quieter than the Dec 2017 model I test drove.

I also actually noticed the call quality was superb -- very sharp and extremely clear.

What I meant were the frequencies that were most prominent and resonating from the road noise. It's been a while now since I drove it for the day but I would guess they were in the 200-400Hz range. I am a professional musician and when my ears are in an enclosed space with no ear protection for a prolonged time with certain frequencies ringing out loudly, they physically start to hurt. Basically like really bad ear fatigue. That's why I was so concerned after a day with the particular Model 3 I drove. That said, I never had a chance to try one with the stock wheels, and maybe that would have helped - along with model by model variations.

I understand what you mean about your Tinnitus, as many of my buddies have pronounced Tinnitus that they just kind of learn to block out over time - as well as they can, at least.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
What I meant were the frequencies that were most prominent and resonating from the road noise. It's been a while now since I drove it for the day but I would guess they were in the 200-400Hz range. I am a professional musician and when my ears are in an enclosed space with no ear protection for a prolonged time with certain frequencies ringing out loudly, they physically start to hurt. Basically like really bad ear fatigue. That's why I was so concerned after a day with the particular Model 3 I drove. That said, I never had a chance to try one with the stock wheels, and maybe that would have helped - along with model by model variations.

I understand what you mean about your Tinnitus, as many of my buddies have pronounced Tinnitus that they just kind of learn to block out over time - as well as they can, at least.

Sorry, didn't have time to log onto the forums in a week.

Your question is really interesting. Are you (roughly) saying that your ears are trained to pay extra attention to noises and the noise generated by the car may overwhelm them after a while?

Yeah, I recently developed the pronounced Tinnitus recently caused by unknown reasons (been fairly conservative with noise exposure throughout my life... minus going to Coachella twice for all 3 days without earplugs -_- ). Been emotionally reacting to it less and less, but it still often "bothers" me.

I won't lie, when I was driving the Model 3 for a day I did briefly give thought to how a quieter drive would effect my quality of life in terms of future hearing abilities and even helping me panic less when I hear my Tinnitus (still learning not to react emotionally to it). City dwellers tend to not realize how noisy city life is so when I sat in my buddy's Bolt I actually commented on how relaxing it felt to not hear the engine noise. I spend roughly 3 hours a day in my car due to LA's horrendous traffic and car based culture; I believe a quieter ride might have many benefits in terms of mood and stress. The Model 3 was definitely quieter than my ICE car but I just wish it was a tad bit quieter -- one just expects it to be quieter than it is since its an electric car.

I'll leave my current sports car for the days that I purposefully want to hear the roar ;)

I'll leave my current sports car for the days that I purposefully want to hear the roar ;)
I drive my sports car for the days when I don't... (It's a Tesla Roadster:))

A lot of a car's noise isn't the engine, but the wind and tires. My Roadster can actually be noisier than the ICE because of that. Going to invest in tires with a lower noise profile this summer (they're about done); it's something you can change. Wind noise, well, that comes with speed...

I drive my sports car for the days when I don't... (It's a Tesla Roadster:))

A lot of a car's noise isn't the engine, but the wind and tires. My Roadster can actually be noisier than the ICE because of that. Going to invest in tires with a lower noise profile this summer (they're about done); it's something you can change. Wind noise, well, that comes with speed...

Curious, are the stock tires Tesla provides inadequate Michelins?

Overall the car is fine in terms of noise. :D

Curious, are the stock tires Tesla provides inadequate Michelins?

Overall the car is fine in terms of noise. :D
Not sure for Model 3. For the Roadster there are much quieter alternatives than stock, so by extension, there may be choices for the 3 as well if that's an issue. I was just pointing out that tire noise is at least somewhat something you can modify.

Not sure for Model 3. For the Roadster there are much quieter alternatives than stock, so by extension, there may be choices for the 3 as well if that's an issue. I was just pointing out that tire noise is at least somewhat something you can modify.

I gave some thought to purchasing better tires. I'll pull up my photos from my rental to see if I can find any info on the stock tire quality.

Sorry, didn't have time to log onto the forums in a week.

Your question is really interesting. Are you (roughly) saying that your ears are trained to pay extra attention to noises and the noise generated by the car may overwhelm them after a while?

Not quite what I was saying. Even though I do know what to listen for, I'm certainly not trying to train my ears to concentrate on road noise - especially when I like the car I'm driving. Simply that my ears have gotten sensitive to specific sounds and frequencies, more so after prolonged periods around them. It's something that has happened to me as I've gotten older, as a result of being around live music all the time. I use ear protection, but 44 years of live performances, year after year can make one's ears very sensitive to things, if not fargen deaf! :eek: But thankfully my ears are in remarkable condition considering the abuse - although I do have a harder time hearing my wife. :D