Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range loss due OTA update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

exlatccatsa

Supporting Member
Mar 6, 2020
Kemnay

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211105-184636_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20211105-184636_Firefox.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 65
You got your car around the same time as me. The battery has a warranty until 2028.

Have you actually experienced any actual decrease in range? (weather and time of year notwithstanding) If not, I'd suggest not letting TeslaFi graphs live in your head rent-free, and just enjoy the car.

Reactions: M3noob and browellm
You got your car around the same time as me. The battery has a warranty until 2028.

Have you actually experienced any actual decrease in range? (weather and time of year notwithstanding) If not, I'd suggest not letting TeslaFi graphs live in your head rent-free, and just enjoy the car.
Difficult to say @Durzel as yesterday and today were the first long runs since early June. I'll be doing a fair amount of running round the South of England in the next few weeks so hopefully I'll figure out whether the range loss is real.

I don’t mean to be flippant, or cause offence.

The reality is that there’s probably nothing wrong with your car at all. It could just need a BMS recalibration by leaving it idle at different SoC. It could be affected by the time of year, etc.

It probably isn’t “real” in the sense that you’ve done anything wrong.

Tesla won’t do anything until such a point that the degradation is easily proved, and you’d be well within your battery warranty in any event if/when this happens.

I don’t mean to be flippant, or cause offence.

The reality is that there’s probably nothing wrong with your car at all. It could just need a BMS recalibration by leaving it idle at different SoC. It could be affected by the time of year, etc.

It probably isn’t “real” in the sense that you’ve done anything wrong.

Tesla won’t do anything until such a point that the degradation is easily proved, and you’d be well within your battery warranty in any event if/when this happens.
Not at all..I did try the 24 hrs at almost zero and 24 hrs at 95% to see if the BMS might recalibrate last month but that made no difference. It wasn't temp related as it occurred when we were still in the 20s centigrade. Thanks for the advice.

A single deep discharge and full recharge isn't always enough to trigger a BMS recalculation, it can need multiple samples at different SOC over a long timeframe. Some reports suggested they needed to wait a few months and they charged/discharged to different SOC each time to give as many sample points as possible.

It could be that a BMS recalculation happened to coincide with an OTA update. There are enough updates that this is bound to happen sometimes.

Obviously, it's always an estimation of range. Even the battery percentage is just an estimate, it's all just an estimate.

If you feel the need to help the BMS, rather than a deep discharge, just charge in a way that lets the BMS take samples at 40%, 50%, 60%, etc. It can take up to 6 hours for the battery to stabilise and a BMS measurement is taken at each SOC.

You could, as suggested, just not worry. I do also recognise some people may wanna geek out on this stuff and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that approach either.