Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is my LFP battery holding up after 2 years?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your doing the calculation wrong. It's not 58kWh plus 2.5kWh buffer. Your car started with something like 60.1kWh when new (check SmT for acurate value) and you now have a 58kWh battery (this includes the 2.5kWh buffer), so you have lost about 3.6% of your battery.
Oh I see. So the 58kwh is with the buffer including. I always thought the buffer is after u hit 0 miles on the dash??
Anyway I'm very happy even in this weather ;*)

If you go Beta in SmT you can get a graphical readout of your battery, like what's shown below;
Screenshot_20240111_193037.jpg

You can see how my battery was when new and where it is now. Plus how the buffer is used to offset 0% to give a reserve of ~10 miles...
Note: my car is currently at 85% SoC.

I think you should all try the Tesla Battery Health test under service menu. 😉 My 2019 Model 3 Performance shows 279 miles at 100% . Originally 299 miles. So a 7% loss. However I did the Tesla Battery Health test which drains to zero and charges to 100% over 24 Hours. That says my Battery health is 86% a 14% degradation. Much worse than just comparing the estimated range now vs new. I think the Tesla Health test would be more accurate. 🤔

I watched this earlier, interesting in places, the LFP batteries seem really good after an initial drop and hardly degrade after 50k miles, the performance models all seem to suffer though more than the others and the bigger US battery in the M3 Performance (at least I think the performance gets a different battery and )not the LG Chem battery the China built LR cars get) appears noticeably worse.

Hi @Roger61 I think your car may of had a 310 mile range at 100% when new, making the degradation more like 10%...

Anyway, I'll have to give the Tesla battery health test a try out, when I have some spare time and see how it compares with SmT or using the consumption graph calculation method...

Screenshot_20240331_204446_Chrome.jpg

I watched this earlier, interesting in places, the LFP batteries seem really good after an initial drop and hardly degrade after 50k miles, the performance models all seem to suffer though more than the others and the bigger US battery in the M3 Performance (at least I think the performance gets a different battery and )not the LG Chem battery the China built LR cars get) appears noticeably worse.

All this data doesn’t tell us anything new about LFP as it’s just mileage based at this point. LFP suffers from less cyclic aging than NCA, sure. But what about calendar ageing? I feel that it might be worse. Especially with all these cars sitting at 100%. There are quite a few other downsides to LFP too, so I personally don’t think it’s the superior chemistry - unless you’re doing huge mileage in a short space of time.

I'm following a SR+ on TeslaFi (Flinchy) that is the same age as my car, but has travelled 167,000 miles. His degradation is -5.58% and my car at 25,600 miles is also at -5.58% That basically tells me that it's not loosing range due to cyclic aging or lots of supercharging but is loosing range due to calendar aging.
Personally, I like the LFP batteries as you can leave them at 100% SoC without feeling bad about it. Yes, in the winter regen isn't as strong but at least the brakes get a good workout and it stops them from seizing up in all that salty water...
As a plus, they are more difficult to catch fire if you get into an accident.

Reactions: kaimanson
I'm following a SR+ on TeslaFi (Flinchy) that is the same age as my car, but has travelled 167,000 miles. His degradation is -5.58% and my car at 25,600 miles is also at -5.58% That basically tells me that it's not loosing range due to cyclic aging or lots of supercharging but is loosing range due to calendar aging.
Personally, I like the LFP batteries as you can leave them at 100% SoC without feeling bad about it. Yes, in the winter regen isn't as strong but at least the brakes get a good workout and it stops them from seizing up in all that salty water...
Yeah that’s the conclusion I have also come to after looking at a lot of data in regards to calendar ageing. Unfortunately I do still feel guilty charging to 100% and losing regen half way down a hill annoys me. Weight is another downside, but agree they are safer. Although when my LFP car was crashed into recently, the emergency services still had a quite a freak out about it catching fire etc.

I'm being thinking the same thing. Time has move effect on the battery than the charging cycles.