Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Read this if you're installing non-OEM (e.g. Winter) rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today was the day for me to install my winter (aka snow) tires. I ran into an issue that I hadn't seen discussed before so I thought I would post this if anyone else runs into this and perhaps save them some time (and anxiety!)

During manufacture Tesla installs a small bolt (see the first image, it's the one with a dab of orange paint between two screws). For the OEM rim there is a fairly large void between the holes for the lug screws. On the rims I purchased, there was a fairly small void (see the second and third attached images). The result was that my new rims wouldn't seat properly.

The solution is easy; remove the bolt. You'll need a 10mm socket to do so. There is no problem leaving that bolt out; it isn't critical for the car (as long as you have rims bolted on).

Attachments

• IMG_0629.jpg
    IMG_0629.jpg
    516.4 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0630.jpg
    IMG_0630.jpg
    563.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0631.jpg
    IMG_0631.jpg
    414.5 KB · Views: 79
Today was the day for me to install my winter (aka snow) tires. I ran into an issue that I hadn't seen discussed before so I thought I would post this if anyone else runs into this and perhaps save them some time (and anxiety!)

During manufacture Tesla installs a small bolt (see the first image, it's the one with a dab of orange paint between two screws). For the OEM rim there is a fairly large void between the holes for the lug screws. On the rims I purchased, there was a fairly small void (see the second and third attached images). The result was that my new rims wouldn't seat properly.

The solution is easy; remove the bolt. You'll need a 10mm socket to do so. There is no problem leaving that bolt out; it isn't critical for the car (as long as you have rims bolted on).

It's been addressed here and on youtube in multiple videos on the subject, but it's probably easy to miss if you aren't searching for wheel/tire model 3 videos.

The easiest thing is to get non-OEM wheels that are made to go on a Model 3 :)