Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear backup camera stopped working after MCU upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

xRTx

Apr 10, 2023
UK
After upgrading my September 2017 Model S MCU about a month ago, I noticed glitches on the rear camera. These were initially lines across the image, stuttering etc. This has gradually deteriorated with purple bars appearing etc. All this was intermittently happening. Over the last few days, it has got much worse. Initially I just got a full white image, but now it's just black, with nothing distinguishable in the image.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? At first, Tesla wanted to check it wasn't a loose connection and sent a mobile technician to check. Of course whilst he was with the car the image was near perfect. I did show video of the purple stripes. He said the computer was not identifying anything wrong, but suggested I might want to replace the camera at some point if it got worse.

It has got a lot worse now. No image. I'm loathe to pay more than £500 for a new camera, if this is just a loose connection or a fault with MCU upgrade. So I thought I would ask if there was anyone who may have a suggestion?