Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 MS 85D losses LTE signal, have to reboot MCU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I've got a 2016 MS 85D with MCU1, the 2G/3G/4G modem and premium connectivity. Based in England for reference.

Occasionally the MCU appears to lose mobile signal, even in places I don't expect it to (i.e. highly-populated areas). I've never actually noticed the signal indicator dropping below 1 bar, although that might be because I only notice the issue when Spotify stops playing and the sat nav says "routing with no traffic data", which could be a minute or so after actually losing signal.

Losing data temporarily is not a big issue of course. The real problem is that it doesn't reconnect without a full reboot of the MCU. Then it works fine, even if I haven't moved from the location where previously it couldn't connect.

For example, I lost connectivity on the very short journey from my house to the nearest supercharger. This is a route with plenty of signal so it shouldn't have dropped. I pulled up, started charging and the screen clearly showed 3 out of 5 bars LTE. But as far as maps and spotify were concerned, I had no data. Rebooted the MCU without moving location and everything came back.

I've had this problem for a while but lately it seems to have got worse. Perhaps older 2G/3G masts being decommissioned? I recently had the eMMC replacement done by Tesla and I had hoped it might fix the issue, but if anything it's worse. Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? Is there a log I can access which would help debug it?

I don't really fancy paying Tesla's hourly rate to try and diagnose it. When I mentioned it to the technician doing the eMMC upgrade, it wasn't something he had heard of. He said he'd make sure the antenna cables weren't loose but I've no idea if he did or not.

I could just enable my phone's hotspot and use WiFi but it's frustrating to have paid for premium connectivity and then not actually be able to use it properly. Any advice or tips welcome!

Thanks!
Will

The cell service modem may be going bad. I believe the cost of "upgrading" the modem in USA is $200 plus taxes. Of course, there may be something else wrong, but the fact that this is a new problem seems like maybe it is the modem.

The cell service modem may be going bad. I believe the cost of "upgrading" the modem in USA is $200 plus taxes. Of course, there may be something else wrong, but the fact that this is a new problem seems like maybe it is the modem.
Thanks for the reply. Is there a newer modem release available for MCU1? If 5G were an option, I'd almost be tempted to try that on the off-chance it might work.