Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear caliper piston fell apart

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
YES! so the tesla ranger was a great help. He showed me where the ebrake can be unplugged. He reinstalled the dustboot, retracted the piston and helped bleed the system. I took the car for a drive and the pedal response is good.

What tool did he use to bleed the system?

I've tried a pressure pump attached to the master reservoir but could not find an attachment cap that would fit tight without leaking air out. I also tried a vacuum bleeder at the calipers and that was successful but the problem with that is that it sucks air around the nipple thread so it is hard to determine when you've sucked all the air out of the system.

i have a similar problem. the tow mode after a few minutes engaged the parking brake while i had the pad all taken out and during the panic i wasnt quick enough to think about unplugging the sensor. but now i can get the piston to retract. i have a performance but it seems that the caliper is similarly setup. the rear torx pushes the piston out but when i try to back it in while i apply pressure it retracts to a certain point and wont budge. feels like something is behind the piston is holding its position. i've even tried backing the torx screw it all the way down and it does want to give. doe this piston need to be twisted at all while pushing? thanks for the help.

@Msjulie i have the electric praking brake motor taken off already and unplugged. i cant get the piston to fully collapse for some reason. its sticking out 1.5inches and doesnt want to go down any further. here is a picture to help better understand where its stuck at.
20190917_120235_resized.jpg

Attachments

• 20190917_120241_resized.jpg
    20190917_120241_resized.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 74